Weighting up my options

Right this is now a serious matter, my celica is starting to become a right PITA on me and has started to turn into a front garden ornament and what with it about to run out of tax, still needing a mot still needing at least a drive shaft, hand brake cable and gowd knows what else im starting to think it might be time to cut my losses on it, so hypothetically speaking what my car be worth? you need to take into account it wont have the lenso, gen 7 seats, cf wrapped dash, stereo, sub/amp, induction kit. and probably no shocks, so basically a rolling shell with a engine

i know i have enough mods that will probably sell pretty damn quick and should see me a few hundred quid, but would the car be worth fuck all? specially to a breaker?

or can someone tempt the whole lot off me for a reasonable cash sum?

well atm to get it on the road again im looking at around £200+ and thats if it goes through a mot fine, iv already spent best part of £500 trying to get it ready for a mot, its getting to the point where the car is starting to owe more than its worth

Stop spending money on wax for it then :P:lol:

There comes a point where you have to also work out how much longer it will last before it needs more money spending?

If it gets through this MOT will it see you a few more years or will you run into more problems come next MOT?

what i really need is use of a ramp or pit then it wouldnt be so much of a problem cos getting under my car is not the easiest thing in the world. but it is also as you say Hou im more thinking what else might it need and when these cars are just over £1k for a pretty nice one and it already owes me in excess of £1500 with price i paid, bits iv paid out to fit it and the mods iv bought for it, its becoming a financial down fall

Hi Dan

I know I’m new to all this, and I don’t know your circumstances, but id say £200+ to get it on the road for another year was pretty good considering the work you’ve listed. I’ve just paid out £400 alone to have the rust on the bottoms of my doors sorted :(

In the end I think it comes down to how attached you are to the car itself. If you’ve got it just how you want it and its taken you a few years to get there then personally I’d go on repairing it till the garage said it just cant be done! However if it’s just a ‘car’ and you fancy the task of starting fresh then go for it. Bear in mind though you’ve no way of knowing what problems a new one could come with!?! :unsure:

Hope this helps a bit.

you dont know me very well, youll learn, im never attached to cars, just ask members that know me what im like :lol: car is just becoming pointless, the money im spending on it can go on a car with MOT and or tax, i hardly keep a car long enough to see it through another MOT so that wouldnt overly matter :lol:

i guess what i really need to do is speak to my parents as its sitting on their drive and im using their mr2 as my run around and see if they are cool with it sitting around for a while why i de mod it and keep using their mr2 till i gather some cash to get something else

LoL, fair enough, sell up then and start again :D

As a thought though, when my mum bought her Gen 6 back in 09 it came with a years MOT, but within a month both back brake pads needed replacing, 1 needing a new calliper as well, and then the handbrake cable seized up and also needed replacing. Cost about £500 all up. All I’m saying is sometimes it's better the devil you know.

Course you could always buy the MR2 off the parents ;) I always wanted one of them myself, but eventually had to admit that the almost complete lack of storage space was no good for me! The Celicas with their ravenous boots were a much better option :)

well it looks like the im buying the mr2, its been ok'd by dad, just need the k from mum and im gonna use the celica to break and pay them off what they want for the mr2, then anything on top of that price i can keep

well it looks like the im buying the mr2, its been ok'd by dad, just need the k from mum and im gonna use the celica to break and pay them off what they want for the mr2, then anything on top of that price i can keep

keep it, just check out my tropicana rebuild, bought the car for £600 a few years ago and spent close to £2k putting it back to the condition it should have been in, only component i havent replaced yet is the suspension because i keep mending other things, pretty soon though i will have a brand new gen 6 :P

no-one said celica-itis made sense

The thing is Dan if this other car needs work, your in the same boat? It's just a constant cycle each time costing you money.

Isn't it worth just getting it sorted and then you can enjoy it knowing it's fixed? Otherwise you run the risk of getting another car, having issues and being in the same situation again.

you could always do a deal with bigb borrow the drive shaft and handbreak cable off him put it in for the mot to find out if it does need anything else if not pay bigb b for the parts and there you go fixed for next to nothing and the cars on the road for another year :D

well i decided to break the car as im sure people have seen in the for sale thread

the mr2 is a god send i swear, it has never missed a beat in 3 years since we have owned it, it has driven to Devon and back, the last mot it only needed new break pads and a sill welding, it just keep going and going, far more reliable than any of my past 5 or so cars (touch wood)

MR2 is a great car, if it's 1994/96 all the better as it will have the engine that had the most punch. As you say it will run forever - my last one got thrashed from the moment the key was turned in the morning until i got out it at night for several years and never complained once - if my other half would let me get something with less than 4 seats i'd have other faster than you can blink.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.