Import tax fees from the USA

I am looking at ordering an axle back system from Import Dynamics from the USA, I have been quoted £153 To my door, however I have no clue how much the import tax will be, Its alot cheaper to order the exhaust from the states, but would like a rough idea as to how much more I need to pay when Mr UPS delivery man turns up at my doorstep, with a nice new shiney exhaust.

I have already called UPS and they said they cannot tell until the exhaust reaches customs.

Has anyone had experience in importing an exhaust system from the states ? And can I be cheeky and ask what they charged you for import tax ? :)

Add 19% VAT and then custom duty. Count on 30%.

Customs duty - Customs duty becomes payable if the goods are over £135 in value but is waived if the amount calculated is less than £9. Customs duty is usually charged as a percentage of the value of the goods.

The amount of customs duty charged will depend on the type of goods imported and their value stated on the customs declaration CN22/CN23 (converted using the rates of exchange for the month of importation as shown on our website).

The percentage varies depending on the type of goods and their country of origin. Duty is charged on the price paid for the goods including any local sales taxes plus postage, packing and insurance costs. However, the cost of postage is excluded from the calculation for customs duty on gifts except where the sender has used the Express Mail Service (EMS) as opposed to a standard mail service.

Where the value of gifts is below £630 per consignment a flat rate of duty of 2.5 per cent Member States will be applied, but only if it is to your advantage.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageImport_ShowContent&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_CL_000014#P122_9419

Hmmm, can always try and get them to send it to me as a Gift and put the value as £120 so I dont get whacked,

Otherwise it comes to About £500 for the Invidia N1 Axle Back system, Worth it ?

Edited by RoryK

Hmmm, can always try and get them to send it to me as a Gift and put the value as £120 so I dont get whacked,

Otherwise it comes to About £500 for the Invidia N1 Axle Back system, Worth it ?

HMRC are aware of that little ploy, and have their own sources of what is the true value of anything imported. If they think you're taking the piss they'll be down on you like a ton of bricks, and you'll have to pay the real duty plus a pretty high fine.

Hmmm, true, dont think I could get away with that ploy, I think its obvious an exhaust system is not a gift and costs less then £135 lol

Ill contact invidia Europe to see if they can discount it.

My mate said something to me about that when he had his Guitar imported it was labled as warrenty return so he didnt pay any import tax, I shall investigate and post my findings, also will put a shout out if Invidia Europe will offer discounts of any form.

Never heard of 'axle back'. Does that mean basically a full system from the downpipe?

Just the rear axle and back, so just the backend section :)

Well I figured out that import tax would be about £120 :S but I cannot find any UK dealers, invidia Europe are no longer doing the exhaust so I either import or maybe look at the Greddy Evo 2 axleback or the Tanabe selection :S Ill see if my first choice can help me out with the 'Warrenty Return' scheme

I am looking at ordering an axle back system from Import Dynamics from the USA, I have been quoted £153 To my door, however I have no clue how much the import tax will be, Its alot cheaper to order the exhaust from the states, but would like a rough idea as to how much more I need to pay when Mr UPS delivery man turns up at my doorstep, with a nice new shiney exhaust.

I have already called UPS and they said they cannot tell until the exhaust reaches customs.

Has anyone had experience in importing an exhaust system from the states ? And can I be cheeky and ask what they charged you for import tax ? :)

When oprdering from the states I always found that an invoice and the value of something could be altered, when importing snakes back in the day, the nsnakes I was bringing in were $1000 each, on the paper work they were $100..... sweet....... have a word! ;)

Not better off getting a custom made jobby for that kinda money? I've forgotten the name of the company but they're mega highly rated...none of that powerflow stuff, genuinly good exahausts...will dig the name out

That would be great if you could matey, I did speak to a colleague at work about this and advised I look about abit more, I have seen that you can get a full system from cat back for the same money, but he did mention not all places will cater for the top end performance or something like that ?

I have no experience of Power Flow or long life, but alot of their Gallery looks like pugs and corsa's

Unless Edd Ninety wants to sort me out an 'offer I cant refuse' in the words of Don Vito lol, then I might have to look at custom exhausts. I think trying to persuade a large company to do something thats illegal is going to be hard lol

Also, for anyone who is interested, Invida Europe are no longer dealing with the Invidia N1, or GT300 as they call it on their site, and will only be selling the Q300-GT

Edited by RoryK

Unless Edd Ninety wants to sort me out an 'offer I cant refuse' in the words of Don Vito lol, then I might have to look at custom exhausts. I think trying to persuade a large company to do something thats illegal is going to be hard lol

Haha well it is well sought after. Will be selling when I break the car August time. :)

When I bought my Greddy Exhaust from the states it was £425 for the exhaust with shipping and then had to pay £89 customs on the door when Ups tried to deliver it to my doorstep whilst I was at work.

So i spent £510 for my Greddy Ti-C but its so worth it. If you can source a second hand invidia then your on to a win otherwise its gonna be expensive.

I only spent silly money for a Greddy cause I think the GT deserves genuine parts :)

Edited by Booth

I only spent silly money for a Greddy cause I think the GT deserves genuine parts :)

I feel the same about mine, only the best, and if its custom it has to be made by someone who would craft it with the same care and attention that I would if I could, Not just because im a paying customer and its their job, Im such a sad case :lol:

Anyway, just incase anyone does need to import and needs to know the figures incase they cant make an offer they cant refuse, then here is the link for a good calculator:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.