The T Sport is going

Hicks

Well after 2 1/2 years of glorious ownership my beloved T Sport is going. I just cant justify spending £250 a month on fuel. In its place will be a Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9 TDI. only 0.4 secs slower 0-60 and 248lbs of torque at 1950rpm with 160 bhp so not ALL bad. plus 60mpg on the motorway... i.e. 51mpg in reality according to most reports...which is where i do most my miles but still some fun left for the odd twisty road.

I REALLY love my Celica and have vowed that once life settles down again in the next 2 years I will buy a gen 7 GT. I'm probably gonna have to be taken at gunpoint when the switch over is made to the Seat. I really dont want to sell my baby but need must etc...

I shall be sticking around the club cos its a cracker.

A sad end i feel to 5 years of celica ownership. (God damn thieving b*****d petrol prices)

Hicks

Sad times buddy, but also an excuse to get out and enjoy the car for a final fling, get some last minute pictures and generally enjoy it while you can. Pump prices are killing enjoyable driving and I'm really glad my car is a weekend toy because otherwise there'd be no way I could afford to run it either.

Sure the Seat will be a decent stop-gap though until such time as a Gen7 GT becomes a realistic prospect ;)

:cry: Sad for you Hicks ! Pleased that your sticking around though.

Tis a Great club

I only do about 70 miles a week but I only have a part time wage/job, I had a Passat Tdi (still have actually ) its old not sporty but reliable as hell & never let me dowmn in 11 yrs, nothing mechanically wrong with it & i got twice as much to the gallon as The celica.

Sad times buddy, but also an excuse to get out and enjoy the car for a final fling, get some last minute pictures and generally enjoy it while you can. Pump prices are killing enjoyable driving and I'm really glad my car is a weekend toy because otherwise there'd be no way I could afford to run it either.

Sure the Seat will be a decent stop-gap though until such time as a Gen7 GT becomes a realistic prospect ;)

Yeah thats part of it as well man. The final nail in the coffin was the missus suggesting a trip to Wales. Even 2 years ago when fuel wasnt exactly cheap I'd have have been "Wales! Hell yeah! bring on the twisty road glory!" Now my first thought was "I hope she drives (in her 1.2 Fiat 500) cos its gonna cost me a bloody fortune." Thats not how it should be, i LOVE driving and i never go out for a drive simply for the pleasure of it as i used to in my Yaris and my Gen 6 SR and the first year of my T Sport. To rub salt into the wounds ive gotta go grab a new tyre cos i suffered irreparable damage to one on saturday. No idea how. £45 down the drain.

I have sworn i will own a celica again. who knows buy the time i can afford to do it maybe a gen 8 will be on the cards lol. I love the Gen 7 GT though so maybe a nice low mileage one for the weekends.

its mad how a 1.9TDI is better on fuel than a 1.8 NA, i guess having lift at your pleasure is the main cause to all this

im also starting to think owning a diesel isnt actually going to save you as much either, what is diesel, 5-7p more a ltr?

if you was to drive the celica a bit more sensible you could get 35mpg out of the tank, ok 15mpg less than the 1.9 (again id like to see it without being heavy footed)

so you in reality are only saving yourself about £10 a tank in fuel (if my maths are right)

Edited by Dan23

its mad how a 1.9TDI is better on fuel than a 1.8 NA, i guess having lift at your pleasure is the main cause to all this

im also starting to think owning a diesel isnt actually going to save you as much either, what is diesel, 5-7p more a ltr?

if you was to drive the celica a bit more sensible you could get 35mpg out of the tank, ok 15mpg less than the 1.9 (again id like to see it without being heavy footed)

so you in reality are only saving yourself about £10 a tank in fuel (if my maths are right)

That £10 a tank translates to nearly fifty a month though. the thick end of £600 per year!

plus theres nothing worse than having cake and not being allowed to eat it so to speak. Having Celica-y goodness on hand and not enjoying it is tantamount to abuse of the car.

Edited by Hicks

LPG all the way mate - if its done properly you wont notice the difference

Thats all well and good, but i have little control over future postings and if end up somewhere where LPG is a ball ache to get then it becomes a hassle. Atm im about as close to home as ill get for the next couple of years.

just out of interest how much space does the lpg tank take up as i regularly car holiday levels of luggage around?

Ive got 2 tanks now as I do between 600 and 1400 miles a week - one goes in the spare wheel which is a 45litre tank, the other behind the seats which is 49 litres and takes up half the boot. The 2 tanks together give a range of 530 miles or so, 94 litres at 65p ( I reckon I could do 600 miles if I drove a bit more sensibly) You can buy an LPG map which is useful for when your travelling about.

Could you not just buy a cheap car to run for you main journeys and keep the t sport for a weekend fun car?

Its a shame to keep hearing these stories of people no longer being able to afford these cars. I know what you mean though, I used to drive everywhere with me and my misses but the same as you now if we go any where distance wise we always go in her 1.2 punto.

As you're here Mr Hicks can you tell me if I really saw and RAF Regt lance corporal today? :unsure:

you did. The rank was brought in last year as our lads were missing out on tri service jobs open to lance jacks but not SACs.

Did I see you waiting at the traffic lights yesterday hicks?

Near tesco...

You did indeed, you're the 1st person to spot me. at last. Yeah i gave you a little nod. I was looking for stickers but didnt see any.

You did indeed, you're the 1st person to spot me. at last. Yeah i gave you a little nod. I was looking for stickers but didnt see any.

I'm the first person to spot you...just before you sell your car ha

Yeh not got the stickers in the window...nice T-Sport though...looked very clean :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.