do you think its worth it

hey peeps,my gt is coming up to 164k miles now and i still love the car but its not getting any younger,basically i want to keep the car but on the other hand do you think its worth continueing to mod and spend money on a car thats done so many miles or use the money to go towards a new car with lower miles? but then id lose all my mods and go back to the beginning :( what options do i have if i keep the car and one day it just dies ? i know they good for 200k at least if looked after prop,just wonder what peoples views are on spending money on a car thats done alot miles and getting older

well thats the thing at least i know whats been done to it etc also was a members car on here i brought it off so i know its been well looked after in the past,im just thinking what do i do when she hits say 200k

Hopefully you got the history from the previous owner and not just assuming that because it was a member's car that it is well looked after.

I have bought various cars from various member's forums and been delighted and disappointed in equal measures.

Not all members are trustworthy.

You can do all that as it comes to it though lol the heart of the car is the part which you want to work! Haha.

Although doing all that won't put the resale value up as high as you paid. So best bet is to demod, sell on, buy new and put all your bits back on :)

Just think that scratch or dent which has been doing your head in for so long won't be there once you've got a new one, using a scratch as an example there! Lol.

But I see the modding part as the fun part. Sell the car and mods separate. Then start a fresh would be the way I done it ha

Edited by oMIKEYo

Keep it! Petrol might hit the £2 per litre mark before your engine blows up, by which time we'll all be living in tents and cycling.

Seriously though its not like everything is going to break at the same time, so long as you dont have loads of rust on the underside. Replacing worn parts with upgraded parts as you go means you'll be keeping the car going and modding at the same time, and so long as petrol doesnt get much more expensive you'll have a cool car to take to classic shows by the time its over 25 years old, well thats how I'm looking at it anyway.

well thats the thing at least i know whats been done to it etc also was a members car on here i brought it off so i know its been well looked after in the past,im just thinking what do i do when she hits say 200k

aim for another 200 thou ?

so you demod and sell , who knows what the next car has in store for you , there cheap cars so people treat them like shit so its not easy to find a great car for reasonable money , if i were you id not worry , go with the flow , in time if it needs an engine then so be it and thats life but concider this ,,,, a new car loses 50 quid a week in depreciation , for a sports car this could be upto 200 a week ???? so every mile you drag out of the old girl your in profit

good comments think i prob will keep her,just sometimes i wish i had a bit more power,but thats not everything,end of the day its a solid car,ok so it needs couple little things but hey what car dont,guess i will cross the bridge if it comes too it about the engine but i know they go for a long time,but is it poss that its maybe lost bhp cos its done alot miles ?

yes and no , milage does a few things , it creates slop in the bores and has carbon build up with plugs holes so gasses dont flow as good as they should

if you want a few more ponys then get the head taken off and gas flowed , the car will feel alot peekier and will feel so much stronger for it , you could in the future aim for vrs items to get a bit more go

cost ? depends on who does the work , needs a new head gasket which is great as once changed its there for another 150 thou but thats the only major cost other than labour

would it create more of a strain ? ummmmm well yes and no , the top end is a weak link in all cars , generally speaking the bottom ends over engineered , the top end also has alot more to go wrong so in essence yes it does put a little more strain thanks to the following , the car will rev faster and be more responsive , it will feel alot more smooth ( less stress then ) and will pull harder and faster than ever before ( more stress ) , it will return more to the gallon ( bonus and a recovery of funds ) whilst needing less throttle to assume the normal speeds you travel at ( aha so less stress ) , gas flowing is the removal off all the poor casting from the factory , when items are cast the surface is like the moon , a machine is used to smooth all these down allowing gasses to exit and enter faster and easier , the result is the engine has a much easier time and the engine is better for it , it could be argued that due to the extra power then it is more likely to be used hence its not clear cut to say the engines likely to last less time or not after being done , oh its also likely the top end would be ported , this is enlargeening of the holes the exhaust gasses and fuel flow into thus allowing more to travel , an engineer would also most likely change the valve stem oil seals at the same time plus maybe skim the head ( extra compression = yet more power )

Edited by izzzzythedog

sounds good and if done correctly wouldnt be too risky by the sounds off it,hmmmmmm another option then,all these choices doing my head in lol but its good

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.