Little help please

Can anyone tell me what would cause a clunking/knocking noise from the front passenger side wheel when going over bumps please?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by gen7nnb

Wheel bearing, balljoint, droplink, loose wheel.

Check wheel nuts for security.

Jack car up, grab wheel at left and right and wiggle. Got movement?

Grab top and bottom and wiggle. Got movement?

If yes, probably wheel bearing. Get someone to apply brakes hard.

Movement stopped? If yes, probably wheel bearing.

Look under car at suspension joints. A torch is handy here.

Get someone to wiggle wheel top and bottom, left and right, put pry bar under tyre and lift up and down.

Movement should be evident from the worn component, balljoint, droplink or other, maybe shock mount bush.

have you lowered your car?

check the top of the suspension mount, tighten 'em all up again, that's what happened to me!

mine would only "bump" when going over bumps/pot holed roads.

Edited by lta

I seem to have lost my drummer. Can you let me know if you've got him stuck under your wheel?

Angus

:lol:

Very good angus, it does sound like it could be a drummer, it's never in time with the music!

No, car isn't lowered and I'll check the strut mounts in a bit, got some more painting to do under the bonnet so I'll check then.

I was getting a similar noise on mine. but it's all gone now. Car was lowered, so got a new set of springs & fitted them. On fitting I did notice that the top mount had not been seated correctly by it's previous owner.

The only noise I get now is a slight rumble on tight rh bends at speed, but that I can put down to some slight play in the CV joint.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.