How much for my Celica?

Sho

My insurance runs out in 3 months and I've been doing some quotes on tsports. Its only about £150 more to insure a tsport and I really don't want to insure my 140 for another year and then have to wait all that time to get a 190. So how much do you think I'd get for my Celica? Its a 2001 VVTI 140 Silver, everything standard, just had a respray and aux belt change with 65,000 miles, also recently passed MOT and taxing it for another 6 months in the next few days.

Edited by Sho

say 3 grand on a good day and £2000 on not such a good day

I paid £3,250 for it but it was covered in scratches and the aux belt was squeaking like hell. Both of those sorted now so I was hoping I'd get a similar sale price. There's a dealers 30 minutes away from me with a storm grey t sport which I really want, so hopefully they'll give me a fair price for a part ex!

its never easy to give out prices , if people brought from a dealer then they will have paid approx 30% more ( or much more depending ) , private prices are lower

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201108380429089/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/over_10_years_old/model/celica/make/toyota/radius/1501/page/11/postcode/cv92qe?logcode=p

you can buy that for 1500 quid , cars with price tags such as this have a detrimental effect on prices , it normalises lower prices so sellers become lucky to get what they paid for them , such is life

so if i were you id have a serious word with the dealer about p/x and see what he says , work out the exact maths , get a p/x price first then have a change of mind and talk cash , it may well be in your interest to sell the car on privately

when you come to sell it look at cars in your local area on autorader , compare yours for a more accurate price , when selling aim high at first but allow the price to hit middle market value after a couple of weeks , this would be a fair price then

I think selling it privately would be the best option to get the proper cash yeah, its just I could be waiting weeks to sell it and I was hoping to get the tsport before someone snatched it away. Its not the end of the world if someone buys it before me but just while its so close and such a decent price I'd rather get it out of the way.

I had a look on the autotrader and this is the closest to my car that I could find

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201101376401118/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/celica/make/toyota/quicksearch/true/page/1/radius/20/postcode/ne262ep?logcode=p

and

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201107379656033/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/celica/make/toyota/quicksearch/true/postcode/ne262ep/page/2/radius/20?logcode=p

Both going at decent prices, but bearing in mind that mine has only done 65,000 miles

I guess it would all depend on what the dealer would offer me, no way am I being ripped off though!

Thanks for the advice by the way

Depends on the quality of the respray. Personally I wouldn't touch a resprayed car unless it had been stripped to the bare shell, rustproofed and then sprayed. I've seen too many resprays which look really good for a few months, then all the crap starts coming through.

This is my first ever car so I have never seen any negative effects to the respray. I thought you had it repaired and sprayed and then that was it. All I can say is that it looks absolutely perfect, I had it done in January and there's no signs of any negative effects on the paint work.

I'd say about £2200-£2500 for the 140, you can pick a tsport for under £3k on a similar reg, but I'd put it up for about £2700 and push for that and let people knock you down. Only reason I say this is cos iv been looking at the 190 pre face lifts and they ate dropping in value quite a lot now and what with the ft-86 coming out soon they will only continue to drop

I'd say about £2200-£2500 for the 140, you can pick a tsport for under £3k on a similar reg, but I'd put it up for about £2700 and push for that and let people knock you down. Only reason I say this is cos iv been looking at the 190 pre face lifts and they ate dropping in value quite a lot now and what with the ft-86 coming out soon they will only continue to drop

As long as it would be a decent deposit for a part ex then I'll be happy. The T-sport I'm after is £6000 but the garage will do finance so hopefully it will work out, maybe I can get some of the price down too, I'm crap at haggling but will give it a shot.

At the moment it's a buyers market. If your seller isn't prepared to lower the price the car will sit on his forecourt forever and a day. There's been a silver 02-reg Gen 7 140 on the forecourt of a garage just a few miles from me which is priced at £3995 and it's been there for over a year.

If you're crap at haggling take someone with you who's good at it, that will undoubtedly save you a lot of dosh, enough to buy him or her (women can be really great at haggling) a good few drinks or a makeover.

At the moment it's a buyers market. If your seller isn't prepared to lower the price the car will sit on his forecourt forever and a day. There's been a silver 02-reg Gen 7 140 on the forecourt of a garage just a few miles from me which is priced at £3995 and it's been there for over a year.

If you're crap at haggling take someone with you who's good at it, that will undoubtedly save you a lot of dosh, enough to buy him or her (women can be really great at haggling) a good few drinks or a makeover.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of cars on autotrader which are still there from months ago so I doubt the one I'm after will be going anywhere too soon. I hope to get a pretty fair price and then won't have to pay a lot on the finance. I don't know whether it would be worth ringing up, or perhaps best to actually go and have a look at the car properly first.

Haha I like your style, that give me a bit of a laugh but you're definitely right. I think I'd benefit from taking my girlfriend along with me, shes not afraid to speak her mind.

He won't offer you even close to £2700 part ex mate. Sorry but dealers are unscrupulous money grabbing robbing barstewards! They'll offer you less than £2k as they want to put a decent mark-up on it when they sell it on.

Depends on the quality of the respray. Personally I wouldn't touch a resprayed car unless it had been stripped to the bare shell, rustproofed and then sprayed. I've seen too many resprays which look really good for a few months, then all the crap starts coming through.

This. SO expensive getting a proper proper respray done, almost futile...might as well put the money into a better car in the first place. Unless it's a stone cold classic that you're rejuvenating

He won't offer you even close to £2700 part ex mate. Sorry but dealers are unscrupulous money grabbing robbing barstewards! They'll offer you less than £2k as they want to put a decent mark-up on it when they sell it on.

There's no way in hell I'm doing a part ex for less than £2,000 so they can frig themselves off at a profit. I guess my only option is to try and sell it privately if that's the case. I'll try this weekend and see what they offer me and get back to you guys.

Sell privately mate. most people will see how shiny it is and be well impressed. First impressions count

I think I'm going to have to at this rate but by the time it gets sold, the T sport I'm after will be probably have done one :(

Plenty of T-Sports about mate, they're not super rare. Will give you time to really scope out good ones as well. Also...if you do insure the 140 for another year, all you need to do is pay a little more to cover a 190 for the remainder if this doesn't happen till summer time or something.

Plenty of T-Sports about mate, they're not super rare. Will give you time to really scope out good ones as well. Also...if you do insure the 140 for another year, all you need to do is pay a little more to cover a 190 for the remainder if this doesn't happen till summer time or something.

The one I'm after is in storm grey but I'd be just as happy with a black one I guess, I wanted a black one to begin with but there wasn't any about within my price range so had to settle for silver. Ahh so that can be done? Someone mentioned that to me but I thought they were talking rubbish. So I could insure my 140 and if I got a 190 a few months down the line I could just pay the extra to cover that on my current policy?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.