Cam cover gasket again

PeteGT

My gen6 recently developed an idling issue so I decided to check the condition of the plugs (sure enough, they're way past it) and I discovered all four plug wells to be half full of oil.

It's my second 3S-GE engined car and my second cam cover gasket failier, coinsidence? I doubt it.

I'm going to attempt this one myself but the over head EFI setup looks daunting as I'm no mechanic.

Are there any major pitfalls I need to know about first?

What are the torque settings for the bolts?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

They leak on all the -GE engines,my gen4 and my GT-four have both done it,like Uncle Milton says defo use good sealant:if you still have cross head bolts they're rubbish.Alan Clogwyn was doing proper hex bolts as replacements though don't overtighten them,use the torque settings in the Wikipedia or you'll bugger the cover and it'll leak again

Edited by thesherv

As the others of said but it is vital not to over torque the bolts as it will be so easy to crack the casing.

I have also had the same issue on all mine 3S engines but I have actually found a cure. Clean the 2 surfaces, apply a bit of gasket sealant then use hex or Allen head bolt but the secret is to use spring or shake proof washers between the head of the bolt and the plain washer, ie bolt head, spring washer, plain washer and casing. I have found this stops the leaks. Dorris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.