Insurance whilst off the road.

s_pid

Hey folks, a while ago I saw a post (can't find it now) about having your car off the road and having to insure it.

So to help and clarify I pulled this from the Citizens Advice Website.

"All vehicles kept off-road must be insured - In EnglandNew rules mean it's now an offence to keep a vehicle off a public road without insurance. This applies even if your vehicle is parked in your driveway.

If your vehicle appears to be uninsured, you will receive a letter telling you that you are uninsured. The letter will ask you either to:

insure your vehicle or

check your insurance company has correctly entered your insurance policy details on the Motor Insurers' Bureau database (MID).

If you fail to insure your vehicle within a specified time, you face:

a fixed penalty fine of £100, reduced to £50.00 if you pay early

having your vehicle clamped, seized and destroyed

being taken to court.

The new rules apply to most vehicles. However, you won't have to insure your vehicle if:

you have a valid Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) or

your vehicle has been kept off a public road since before 1 February 1998 or

your vehicle has been scrapped, stolen or exported and you have notified the relevant authorities.

For more information about what to do as a vehicle keeper, how to check the MIB database and how to apply for a SORN, go to the DirectGov website at: www.direct.gov.uk.

For more information, see our Motor Insurance factsheet."

If anyone knows where the old post is feel free to add it in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a limit to how short a time you can SORN your car for?

Mine won't run, so I can't pass an MOT, but I'm hoping it will run again in less than a month. I'm quite happy to SORN to avoid a fine, but I don't want to be stuck unable to reapply for a tax-disc once it's all back up and running again...

Ironically, I could probably pass everything but the emissions test, and my car is currently a zero-emissions vehicle!

There is no minimum time limit on a SORN certificate; it’s all done by computer these days using the bar code or the V5 reference number. Dorris

Cheers - I was worried that I'd need the paperwork that proved I was SORN'ed to reapply for a disc.

Just got to see what my insurers will say about insuring an untaxed, unMOT'ed car now...

Cheers - I was worried that I'd need the paperwork that proved I was SORN'ed to reapply for a disc.

Just got to see what my insurers will say about insuring an untaxed, unMOT'ed car now...

The insurers will cover the car. It doesn't matter that much to them if its not taxed or non-MOT'd. As if you got caught its more money to them come renewal time due to the points you'd get. If you crash then they won't like it. But they'll insure a car that is SORN'd, as you're still coving it for theft, fire & damage.

The insurers will cover the car. It doesn't matter that much to them if its not taxed or non-MOT'd. As if you got caught its more money to them come renewal time due to the points you'd get. If you crash then they won't like it. But they'll insure a car that is SORN'd, as you're still coving it for theft, fire & damage.

Well it matters to my insurers - they refused point blank to cover it if the MOT has expired :wttc:

Guess it was time I shopped around for another insurer anyway...

• 2 months later...

holy thread resurrection!!!

got a question,

my insurance is due this week but ive overspent a bit - Rising Sun :lol:

so i may have to wait another week for pay day to sort this, but ive got a car share for work so ok for that.

but doing this will break the new rules, but re reading the above, it appears they send you a letter before a fine, so should get away with it, anyone got any experience that backs this up?

It takes the DVLA longer than a week to notice their own car doesn't have insurance, nevermind somebody else's a million miles away, for 1 week you'll be safe from the DVLA (not sure about your local thieves though)

Can anyone think of any reasons why you wouldn't declare your car SORN if you had it off road without insurance for awhile.

I mean you'd only bother to take it off if it was more than say a month, so you may aswell sorn and un-insure right?

Makes it a bit of a bugger if your trying to sell a car. It's a big hard to sell a car without tax these days!

The girl friend was selling her fiat towards the end of last year, it was taxed and not insured for about 6 months and we never heard a dickey bird, if your vehicle is not SORNed you will more likely get a fine for that then not having insurance. Dorris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.