Alternator problems

joe588

Sorry to crosspost, but I really need this fixing tomorrow morning and it's something that can be answered by all gens :)

The bolt on the alternator tensioner pulley is completely round, I've tried molegrips etc etc etc and it won't budge. Can I just cut the belt off, remove the alternator and tensioner then replace the knackered bolt off the car? Will this work? I don't want to cut the belt for no reason if you can't remove the tensioner or something :P

Edited by joe588

Right got it out finally.

but now something else, i've popped the dipstick tube out of the engine block some how! What do I do now? it was pretty loose to start off with, is it meant to be like this? is oil going to fly out of the hole? Have I fucked it :(

No worries, apparently you just push it back in according to the gt4oc.

---

I was running my car to get the airbubbles out and it never really seemed to get warm, what's wrong? Bubbles stopped but the water at the top of the rad was only luke warm and after 20 minutes it never started flowing across like normal? Is this thermostat knackered or something? It's brand new.

Car said it was at normal temp.

Edited by joe588

Dipstick tube should just shove back in, right enough.

Sounds like a strange one on the coolant front. Did you put the rad cap back on and get it up to temp to see what happens? Could be that with the cap off you're not letting it build up any pressure - though you'd expect it to overflow a bit instead as it heats up.

Did you give it a good flush? There might be a blockage somewhere? And bear in mind that with the outside temperatures just now it might take a bit more effort to warm up properly so that the stat opens and starts circulating coolant.

Angus

Yeah, I put the cap back on then went for a 10 minute spin and when I'd got back the level had dropped a bit. I didn't flush it no, should have done but I'd already cut the alternator belt off when I realised I only had a litre of antifreeze so couldn't lose much coolant!

The thermostat did actually open, the bottom pipe stayed cold then turned warm. I'll give it a proper flush and see what happens.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.