Toyota Avensis D4D

Maybe putting £75 in the tank again today is the problem.

Id never get rid of the faff but Im considering a project, problem is the cost of fuel might not leave me with enough spare cash. Anyway does anyone know how cheaply I could pick up a smashed up front drive Toyota fitted with the D4D engine?

Edited by mrsoundcraft

the problem with that is it doesnt look like a gen 6 and I cant afford it. Even an R reg MX5 cost more than my faff!

Can't you just disconnect 2 or 3 of the spark-plugs and injectors and double or triple your MPG :)

Maybe putting £75 in the tank again today is the problem.

Id never get rid of the faff but Im considering a project, problem is the cost of fuel might not leave me with enough spare cash. Anyway does anyone know how cheaply I could pick up a smashed up front drive Toyota fitted with the D4D engine?

Scottish Motor Auctions Deans (or is it Deer?) Industrial Park in Livingston.... near the big Tesco Storage Depot

Always have a non runners auction , start of every sale.

Or Birnam Motor Salvage in Uddingston..... they usually have a good selection of scrap and seem to get the "good stuff" Prices are going to depend on mileage etc.

HTH.

Edited by jdmawd

daft question perhaps but if you love the car but dont like the running costs why not do something about it ? hows about a gas conversion ? also a remap will see you doing loads better on the mpg and using gas will save you a fortune , it normally takes about 18 months for it to pay for itself in running costs , however the resale value of your car will be at least £500-750 more once its fitted so you near as dam it get the money back in the long run

also your not having to lash out for tax , mot , insurance , tyres , breakdown ( if you brought a fiat lol ) servicing , depreciation ,,,,,, etc etc

Its a real catch 22 this one.

Problem: Car costs a lot of money to run, so buy/build another car thats cheaper to run.

Result: Cost of buying/building another car outweighs the benifits of cheaper running costs.

Conclusion: Stick with the faff and V-power combination

I am thinking about getting an Emmerald ECU (sure this is contraversial), Droping the AFR would hopefully bring the same results as disconecting spark plugs, but without the power loss and rough running. Still costs a bit though, but comes under "mods" so that makes it cool.

Problem: Car costs a lot of money to run, so buy/build another car thats cheaper to run.

Result: Cost of buying/building another car outweighs the benifits of cheaper running costs.

I am thinking about getting an Emmerald ECU (sure this is contraversial), Droping the AFR would hopefully bring the same results as disconecting spark plugs, but without the power loss and rough running. Still costs a bit though, but comes under "mods" so that makes it cool.

Disconnecting sparkplugs and injectors removes the fire from cylinders completely - leaning out the AFR does not - IIRC it generally makes your engine run hotter and risks causing detonation or melting something. Modulating your right foot is probably your best bet - I can get anywhere between 60 and 35mpg in my 1L Yaris depending on how I drive it...

read my post again , its a short term loss like buying another car but long term gains , unlike buying another car , honest its a viable proposition for cheaper running costs without the loss of power for gains when you sell the car

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.