Buying Cat D and Vehicle Inspections

Bit late now lol but I believe its only cat C that need the VIC check. I personally would be happy with a cat D as it doesn't show up on the log book that it has 'been substantially repaired' or something along those lines.. like a cat C does, making it easier to sell on.

If you're brave you could even look into buying an unrepaired cat C or D straight from salvage auctions or dealer - but lately I found them to be over priced when compared to undamaged cars of the same kind.

As Tony said above, it is only cat C cars that require a VIC check. I buy a lot of cat C and cat D cars and TBH they are only panel damaged usually.

Cat D cars aren't registered on the log books, but it will show up a s a cat D if you do a vehicle history check on it.

Cat C cars have " This car has been substantially repaired on ......... date and has had a VIC inspection carried out " or words to that effect on the logbook .

The VIC check is only to compare the chassis number with the details on the DVLA's system and not really to check the quality of the repair that has been carried out.

My own gen7 is a Cat D. I bought it that way and fixed it up. Here is what a CAT D can look like:

My own car when I bought it damaged

1204515xxa-1.jpg

But on the other hand I have bought cat C cars that have hardly any damage such as this:

( Tiny dent on front wing but classed as a Cat C )

DSC04310-1.jpg

So half of the time it really does depend on the inspector at the time as to how he determins the category.

err another way of putting it is this

an insurance repair requires brand new components to be fitted , the cost of new parts is hahahahaha how friggin much ?

because of this cars get writtern off

then there is the type of damage , the fashion is to use uneconomic repair but this doesnt cut it really , if a car needs more than half of the total repairing then its fooked and down as a B , if its decided to remove a car completely never to be used again ( fatac , fatial accident but not always mind ) or is in such a state you can only guess at what it once was then its a crusher so an A

isnt it also against the value of the car :)

Yes it is Dan. I forgot to put that in the post I did.

But I was kinda making the point on my thread that a car can have very very little damage to get registered as a Cat C and can have more damage and then get registered a Cat D. ( Again as we have said this is to do with the value of the car though )

Yes it is Dan. I forgot to put that in the post I did.

But I was kinda making the point on my thread that a car can have very very little damage to get registered as a Cat C and can have more damage and then get registered a Cat D. ( Again as we have said this is to do with the value of the car though )

oh yeah for sure , we were buying blocks of cars direct from the insurance companys , we outted a few privately , some at auctions and some repairs , we would get 12 year olf vauxhalls with a wing mirror swinging on its wire , no other damage only the mirror itself , we would however always find the cars half shagged and hence the owners happy to get some decent money out of insurance than try to shift the pile of shit themseleves , some were down as insurance cat D and you couldnt find any fault at all that would warrent it being an insurance write off , an example is this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

look at the pictures first then read it afterwards

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.