removing sikaflex/tigerseal type stuff off paintwork

Finally getting the weather and TIME! to fit my replacement front splitters.

As the ones I had on previously were FG copies and had no flex to them, the body shop used some sticky stuff to fit them flush and this needs to come off to fit the OEM ones properly.

That stuff like bathroom sealant but a hell of a lot more durable and stickier until it dries.

what's the best stuff to remove it completely from the plastic bumper and the front wing?

I used Hammerite All Purpose Paint & Varnish Remover last week to remove everything, even the skin on my fingers, and gets you high! It will burn and melt through your paint work to...... but makes an easy job of removing most things sticky or sealant based, only go this rount if your a little mad

I'd try heating it up with a hair dryer (ask a Gen 7 owner for a shot) and then see if you can peel it off?

Also you can try lighter fluid or petrol but check it in an inconspicuous area first to makes sure its not going to eat the paintwork.

i've used pure methanol on sikaflex before and it works an absolute treat. however, sikaflex contains isocyanates and when I mixed the two together i got a nice smell of almonds rising up. I hope I didn't create any cyanide compounds on it :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.