Could a worn synchro just be sticky?

The synchromesh on my gearbox has been crunching when dropping down into second gear since I bought it. I know that it had been sitting for a few weeks before I bought it. Since I've owned it I've been avoiding/being careful with dropping down into second gear.

Today I was driving the Celica in auto pilot as it's currently being used as a daily drive as my other car is off the road for MoT work, coming back from my daily errands earlier on I noticed that I'd been dropping down to second gear and it was no longer crunching, so spent the rest of my drive home consciously dropping down to second from 3rd and 4th... It only crunched when I tried dropping to second at 40mph (not my usual driving style), other than that it seems fine.

Is it possible that the synchromesh isn't actually worn but was just a bit sticky after sitting for a while? I don't know much about the innards of gearboxes so haven't got a clue how they work or if that's possible.

If it is possible it's just sticky I'm guessing a transmission fluid change will help it out.

Cool, I'll go for some new fluid in the box.

I've just got back from picking the other half up from work and noticed that it was crunching again until everything was warm again (a bit longer than the engine warming up) so there's a chance that the oil in there is naff.

i always use comma fluids, probly cheaper buying a 5l jug instead of 3x 1l jugs, in fact 5l for the gt-four box was the same price as the 3l for the GT box.

normally crunchy grindy gears mean box is on its way, was 2nd gear i lost in 1 box then the diff went in the other box. Ive a good low mile box here :)

• Like 1

ya might be better with an auto before you destroy any more :D:lol::lol:

I've only ever driven manuals, the gearbox on the Celica has had a crunch ever since I bought it (earlier this month) so I'm glad to say the problem with it isn't me :D

ya might be better with an auto before you destroy any more :D:lol::lol:

an auto gt-four wood be fun, maybe its the way i drive, i tend to use the box as opposed to brakes to slow down lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.