Oil catch cans

stubear

I've been reading up about oil catch cans from various sources and the consensus is that they are 'required' for turbo cars but what about N/A cars? Does they give any sort of benefit and if so what?

On a side note where do they actually attach to on the car and does anyone have any pictures of their car with one attached?

Yer I have one on my ss-111 and it seems to do the job .

you connect the crank case breather pipe( you may have to fit a longer pipe ) to the catch can then take another pipe from the other conection on the can to the air induction .

make sure you tap into the induction piping after the map/maf sensor on the air box or the sensor will get soaked in oil ! ..hth

mines connected into the crank case and the throttle body replacing the short pipe thats there stopping the oil building up in the throttle and keeping it nice and clear

Hi I am thinking of putting one on my car if you don't mind could take a few photos to see how you have got yours fitted

here you go a few pics

DSC_0013_zpswjc5kgxg.jpg

DSC_0012_zps9k6tbx7h.jpg

DSC_0011_zpswsk0oxwt.jpg

this is where it connects to the throttle body the other hose connects to the top of the crank case just up behind it you just dissconnect the little hose that runs between the two and replace it with the new hoses and the catch can

DSC_0007_zpsx3znpnkm.jpg

I made one for my car out of an ebay catch can and some metal filter mesh. Made a seal around where the top bolts down with some Loctite 5910 - left over from doing the rocker cover, then placed a sheet of filter mesh between and cut to shape. Also made a feeder tube for the inlet pipe to go through the mesh to make sure the maximum filtration takes place. also added a finer mesh over the outlet to make sure everything was picked up before going back through the throttle body

This was before i added the filters to the can - was in use for a couple months, about 2k miles

208 (Large)

as you can see both the outlet and inlet had mayo on - the pipes were just as bad

209 (Large)

210 (Large)

Gasket around top of catch can

Breather pipe on inlet, mesh on outlet and gasket around edge

Main filter mesh fitted - also added some loctite to around the inlet pipe to make a seal between the mesh and the pipe

Finished article

226 (Large)

Can fitted - AFAIK gen 5 and 6 engines run slightly different crankcase breather pipe positions, but as mentioned just take that pipe out and replace with new hose with catch can in the loop :thumbs:
After checking the can a couple of months after adding the filters, it was a ot cleaner and the outlet pipe was nice and clean :)
Think total cost was around £45 - 25 for the can, 5 for couple of different grade sheets of mesh, 10 for new hose,5 for some jb weld for the pipe... :sofa:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.