Visit to MWR

Y393

Happened to be working in the area near to Detroit so took a trip to see Monkeywrench racing.

They ran out of rental cars as I arrived late so got a Hyundai Velostar. Interesting to see the difference with a new sports coupe to the Celica as its 12 yrs old. It has a few extra gadgets like heated seats, multifunction steering wheel, paddleshift, start button. The one I will miss are the heated seats. Comfortable over lots of miles, 1.6 Turbo was ok, handling skipped on bumps, bit like an ordinary car with some snazzy bits, decent work horse.

iPhone5_12_13246_zpsceb0fdb1.jpg

MWR is a small company with friendly people, seem to have the right car out front.

iPhone5_12_13250_zps0731b4b4.jpg

This is Gary who is the sales manager and good guy.

iPhone5_12_13251_zps00142178.jpg

Some very tasty cars inside, much of their business is for Lotus. The Evora is a new development car and had a cool new developed exhaust system. Stock is ready on the shelves.

iPhone5_12_13252_zpsdf84e70d.jpg

It was great that I got instant service for a walk-in customer, open 10am to 5pm. There some local sales tax ~5% to add. Bought their fuel pressure regulator and fuel return system off the shelf. Hoping it will give good flexibility and control on the next tune. Apparently they sell quite a few of these just for the extra bling.

IMG_0449_zpse51ab5b5.jpg

Went across the Canadian border, carried it on the return flight as hand luggage and through customs at Heathrow with the box under my arm and no delays or charges so saved a bit on shipping/duty. It just comes under the personal import allowance.

Edited by Y393
  • Like 2

Interesting to see their shop and workshop. Had envisaged something on a much grander scale. Spoken to Gary before, he seemed OK on the phone (despite the call being a complaint about my parts lol) and he's nothing like I'd imagined him to look like hahaha.

I thought MWR was a big building on top of a mountain where 2zz Enthusiasts have to climb for many days to seek inner power and performance.

The journey I did pretty much felt like that. If you do it sometime it would be good to mug up on the accordion and blues which seem to be favourite topics of discussion alongside tuning. Also some good business/tuning savvy there.

Edited by Y393

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.