new brakes on, but now im getting a weird metal grinding noise

M2FNG

Got my mtec drilled and grooved discs and green stuff pad put on the motor about a month ago, but didn't drive it till now, so i was expecting it squeak and grind for a few miles till. after a short drive i noticed my rear driver side disc was smoking.

i still think all for brakes are grinding. im thinking the caliper has seized due to it not being driven for a month. Iv got a friend coming round tomorrow to have a look for me

has anyone had these issues before or know what it could be?

cheers

Colin

Could be sticky sliders or sticking piston. Stuck handbrakes are normally the shoe sticking to the drum and will release when moved, so unlikely unless it's a sticky cable (you'd feel this on the handbrake lever)

Sliders are easy. Get them out, gentle taps with a hammer if needed (be careful not to squash end out) then clean up with wire wool or fine wet & dry (plus WD40, but avoid getting it on seals) Then re-grease thoroughly when refitting.

Stuck pistons also freed the same way (hint - pump brake pedal to push piston out, if it's more than one piston then clamp non-seized one in) Clean up piston with wire wool & wd40. Remove brown gunk from caliper, but don't use wd40 / solvent as the seal will be destryed. Lube piston with brake fluid to re-insert - don't use wd40 or oil.

edit note - it's worth clamping the flexi hose one the piston's come out past it's seal before the system empties (use a pair of mole grips if you don't have the official tool) and keeping the brake fluid topped up. This will save an awful lot of pain bleeding the brakes later - especially if you have ABS. You will just need to bleed the one corner. Open up the bleed nipple to let air out as you push the piston back in afterwards.

Edited by _Chris_

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.