ATF in gearbox v oil

soul45

turns out by having atf in your box cuts down on transmission loss...you need to change it every 30000 or so works with all gearboxes apart from gt4 because of the higher pressures could use smx-s instead....discuss

Isn't the recommended service schedule for all transmission oils 30,000?

Remember seeing a page on this on gtfours, from what I can remember it appears to be a trade off, you get better gear selection and lower power losses but increased wear

IMO, cant really see any downfalls if you get the viscosity selection right. If anything, a ATF oil is higher quality in it's operating range as it deals with the hydraulic/torque converter duties as well as the gear lubrication.

Compatibility with specified gear material, machine tolerances and seal material would probably need a little more investigation :P

Interesting stuff though, someone will know

My gearbox man also recommended ATF. Very shortly after the rebuild I trashed the two third gears. Don't know if it was the oils fault but the broken gears weren't the new parts that I replaced, they are ok. Now with the two new parts in I'm experimenting with cocktails of different oils together like the Yanks. I've got the thin ATF to the thick redline shock oil in the mix. I'm going for the properties as to viscosity and see what the outcome will be. Wish me luck :D

5018E69D-ABA5-4F5C-A43C-1A3DCF2FF867-466

Edited by Zorg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.