refurbing wheels; transformation complete

skatz114

Hey folks, dunno if this is the right place to post so mods, feel free to move it! So, I just bought a set of 17" wheels from digitalghost (cheers Carl) which should be here Wednesday. They're going to need a refurb which I'm going to have a bash at myself. It looks like I might have to take them back to the metal so the question is.... What's the best way to do this? Chemical, elbow grease, sandblasting? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Iain

Edited by skatz114

They look amazing! I hope to get mine looking as good as that although I'm only going to use them as winter wheels (although that might change if they look good enough) How did you fill the deep scuff on the edge mate?

Edited by skatz114

They look amazing! I hope to get mine looking as good as that although I'm only going to use them as winter wheels (although that might change if they look good enough) How did you fill the deep scuff on the edge mate?

Their was only 1 wheel like that and that's the only thing i didn't do myself..

I had a mate do it he drilled some fine holes in to it and then run melted liquid ally in to it to build it out then i ground it back to shape.

• 3 weeks later...

Refurb has started! Loose paint removed & wheels are roughly sanded ready for primer. Is there anything I should use to remove any dust & contaminants before primer? I seem to remember something about alcohol wipes? Or is that my drink problem rearing its ugly head again :D

Well that's them done. Not the best job but a damn sight better than they were & good enough for winter wheels!

From this

CAM00014_zps6a039668.jpg

CAM00013_zps6fa48704.jpg

CAM00012_zpsf9668099.jpg

CAM00011_zps4cc1dce1.jpg

To this

CAM00016_zpscd4c6f10.jpg

CAM00018_zps5d6cb950.jpg

CAM00019_zps13390b96.jpg

CAM00020_zpsd7543726.jpg

Well happy for a first attempt, considering it was elbow grease & rattle cans!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.