Brake disc question

Hoody

Drilled, slotted, grooved or dimpled discs offer no advantages over standard vented discs in a real world situation - as in road use, they cost more money for a start, pad wear is generally higher and as others say, prone to cracking. Also seem to suffer from premature scoring.

The work well on bikes because they are exposed to the elements

Okay for impressing passers-by who like looking through your wheels when you're parked up - (it takes all sorts)

Money better spent on better things I think.

Edited by foxxy

Have to disagree with this I'm afraid.

I have used drilled discs in the past.

Started with Black Diamonds. They started with very fine cracking from the holes outwards. I replaced them with another set.

Second set of Black Diamonds (less than 18 months from the first set) eventually went the same way. I remember being in Cumbria on a rally and tyre kicking, one of the other owners asked if my discs were ok as there was a crack coming out from the hole and another one on the edge of the disc working its way towards the other.

It was a slow drive home!

I replaced them with a set of AP Racing 4 pot calipers with genuine AP racing 330x28mm discs.

These lasted around 9 months before they started to crack from the holes. I even spent time looking after these and cleaning out the holes every week or 2 as well. Wasn't impressed as to replace them, they cost me £250... EACH!

So it doesn't matter how much you spend, the likelihood is drilled discs will crack and need replacing before the equivalent grooved or plain versions.

If you're happy knowing that, then all's well and good. But due to this, manufacturers will very rarely warranty drilled discs.

I advise anyone who orders though me about my experience, but if the customer is happy to go ahead, then no problem here. :)

Hats off in that case bud.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.