Spraying the car

Nemesis

I have a little rust on the nearside rear wheel arch I need to sort out in the summer so am going to buy proper experiment to spray the repair & not use rattle cans. Any advice on what I should get? As far as I know I will need a compressor, spray gun & hose as well as something to heat the garage to the correct temperature for spraying.

A long time ago I spoke to someone about it as also want to spray my front & rear lips as well as a new set of side skirts & he recommended a certain type of compressor which I think was oil free maybe something like this http://www.machinema...-litre-oil-free

What type of spray gun should I get, a suction feed gun or gravity fed?

I also want to respray my alloys at some point as the 17"s are pealing & do a complete refurb on my 19"s as well so will have plenty of use for the equipment & I think its worth the investment

I don't want to spend too much on the equipment as don't intend to spray the whole car, well at least not for a few years & don't need a massive tank on the compressor as wouldn't respray the whole car in one go anyway as my garage isn't big enough for that.

Anyone done this before, I could do with advice on spraying technique as well as only done it with rattle cans in the past & got good results but they don't last as rattle cans arnt the best thing to use & I need the correct temp to bake the paint when done. Before I start any spraying I know to make sure the garage as as dust free as possible so will put up plastic sheeting & spray the floor with water (aparantly this would draw any dust left out of the air, so I have been told) & make sure I use a mask to not get high on the paint fumes

For minor work like that , why not get a smart repair guy to fix it , cost 100-200 quid depending on how much repairs the car needs and it will be done properly

Or just get rob to put a big blobby sticker over the offending rust patch :D

I have a suction spray gun which is fine for things like you need to do but gravity is better.

You will also need an inline water trap to catch any condensation that will come through from the compressor.

With the amount of spraying I need to do over time would cost many hundreds of pounds so want to get the kit as going forward will want to spray the alloys in a fre different colours to try & get the best colour I'm happy with

I have a suction spray gun which is fine for things like you need to do but gravity is better.

You will also need an inline water trap to catch any condensation that will come through from the compressor.

I knew I needed something else

I know princy done his gt4 him self , but did say his compressor was only man enough to do a panel at a time

Me , unless I hade to do a shell , have done most panels with rattles in my time and they have got better the more I have done , my bumpers have always been rattled , done doors , rims , bonnet and wings and spoilers , not 100% mint jobs , but seen a hell of a lot worse

If you want to get into spraying, spend as much as you can on a compressor. A 25l 5cfm will struggle to keep up for sure (I started with one back in the day!). A 50l 10cfm will be much better, but even then......(Second hand on the bay is worth a look)

As for a spray gun, spend as much as you can. A decent gun will give much better results when set-up correctly, and will last you years if looked after correctly. DeVilbiss is my weapon of choice, but SIP make reasonable good quality guns along with others.

Suction/gravity? I use both now, job dependant, but started with a suction.

And yes, you will need a water trap/filter in the line, even if you use an oil free pot.

If you want to get into spraying, spend as much as you can on a compressor. A 25l 5cfm will struggle to keep up for sure (I started with one back in the day!). A 50l 10cfm will be much better, but even then......(Second hand on the bay is worth a look)

As for a spray gun, spend as much as you can. A decent gun will give much better results when set-up correctly, and will last you years if looked after correctly. DeVilbiss is my weapon of choice, but SIP make reasonable good quality guns along with others.

Suction/gravity? I use both now, job dependant, but started with a suction.

And yes, you will need a water trap/filter in the line, even if you use an oil free pot.

I jumped with joy because I was gonna be useful then but alas, I was beaten to it.

Compressor NEEDS to be 50L + with a minimum of 9cf/m. (10 is better)

Look for a min of 3hp or you'll go deaf from it constantly charging the tank.

I have both 50l 1hp (I use this solely for powder coating only) - with about 10 water traps along a 40m hose run & a 50l 3hp for blasting and spraying.

Avoid coiled hoses like the plague. They're shit for spraying. Ideally a 10m flat/normal hose. Avoid crappy ebay connectors. Buy good quality brass ones from a tool shop.

Obviously sheeting, an orbital pneumatic DA if you want to do it right and most important of all, a respirator.

Do not buy crap masks they will not work.

A good respirator will save your lungs. I opted for a carbon/charcoal based when I first started, this is good for light work.

Good luck to you mate.

Oh X2 on the DeVilbiss

If you can wait till Thoresby i have a inline trap you can have for nowt :)

Yeah, a little research would be best, and rather setting a budget, buy the kit over time. I went out and bought a small compressor, cheap gun etc.....they are now kept for sentimental reasons!

Both my compressors are second-hand-

workshop6_zps14e53a7d.jpg

The red one cost me £200 and runs like a watch. The blue one I found in a scrapyard. Bought it for £30 with a blown motor. Another £30 later and a very useable compressor! Now kept as a standby.

I would also recommend the Haynes book "Car bodywork repair manual". It's the book that started me off with welding and spraying years ago.

Nice kit Thermo, I'll be investing in something a bit bigger for the spray job on my 185

As above, the bigger the better but it really will depend on what your plans are, if the most you'll ever spray is a panel then a little 25ltr will do you. The biggest part of the respray I did on my 182 was the sills, rear quarters and roof in one hit and it coped okay. The one I got was an Aldi special, very similar to the one Carla linked to but it's dependant on when they have them in

You'll also want a gun mounted regulator to make sure your getting the right pressure at the gun

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.