Sound deadening

Right so I'm thinking of doing a bit when I stick a new carpet in and doors. What places to I need to put it apart from behind doors and rear quarters to help speaker quality? I'm after less road noise essentially. What thickness is best?

It's a bit of an art to do properly and isn't as simple as deadening, I've used deadening panels to reduce resonance in the panels and high density closed cell foam to help insulate inside the car from noise. As far as thickness goes it's a bit difficult to know, the larger the area that needs deadening, the more mass, (thickness), you'll need. I've stuck with the 3mm stuff and if it requires more damping then I've just doubled it up

It's a misconception that you have to completely cover the entire interior of the car with deadening sheets, your best bet is to have a read through here it's a pretty good read and explains the science behind it and how little is to be gained by complete coverage

Though one thing I am stuck with is getting hold of sheet mlv (mass loaded vinyl) anywhere in the UK, I did manage to get hold of 2 sheets of Silent Coat stuff that's closed cell foam and mlv bonded into one sheet but I can't find the stuff anywhere any more

Edited by princy

Cheers princy, good read that! I'm thinking 25% covering around wheel arches, roof, under rear seats, doors and boot floor of whatever I decide to use. Like the guy says there is a lot of different noise types and aims. I will be happy with less road noise, better sounding sound system and get rid of rattles.

My car at the moment is so noisy with trim at the moment at low rpm I cruise in 4th a lot to keep the revs up. Obviously not when the speed gets up 5th is ok. I have new doors to put on in 8 weeks and I have to Change the glass too so ill be able to get right in there. Also look for some good component speakers and mount the tweeters in the mirror triangles. I will eventually get around to a better head unit, small amp and maybe one of those micro subs that can fit under the front seats as I need my boot space. I don't need ultra deep bass as I listen to mainly to rock/metal so just a nice punch for the bass drum :thumbs:

No problem mate, glad you got something from it, I learnt a fair bit myself and saved a few quid in not having to leather every square inch in deadening mat

I've lined the inside of all my plastic trim with high density closed cell foam to try and stop the squeaks and creaks and hopefully lower road noise, if you're not done by the time mines finished and back on the road I'll report back and see how well it's turned out

TBH I heard about the covering x ammount does as good a job but when I have my subs on it doesn't :lol:

I went for the complete covering method with dynamat xtreme and havent been happier :) Also topped it off with silent coat sound absorber and silent coat noise isolator.

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/140394-myks-mod-thread-new-scoop-is-on/page__st__60#entry1765328

Still got the front of my car to go though!

There does come a point when more just adds nothing but weight and lightens your wallet, the key is finding the sweet spot but that said there's no real harm from a soundproofing point of view in putting as much as you can in.

I've just put as much as I think in that will do the job, if it needs more in some areas I'll put some in once I've chased down any weak spots

Nice job btw MYK :thumbs:

As I see it mate the rear arches are like an echo chamber behind the rear speaker pods so that's going to be one of the worst places, plus the long hollow doors.

Trim rattles I'm going to get some felt washers for where panels overlap with screws and tighten the arse of them.

I just used a lot of the dense foam behind where the speakers go. Waterproof stuff though.

I had thought about just stuffing a blanket down each side but went for the waterproof option as if moisture got in there it would go horrid :lol:

I'd say use a sound deadening sheet like silent coat or dynamat to stop panel vibration and layer up with foam to stop road noise. My topping it off with sound absorber was just because I have the subs in the boot and wanted to eliminate as much rattle as possible....

I bought a load of bits at the weekend, I got a big roll of 1/2 inch thick foam, double sided tape a d a few sheets of felt so I'll get stuck in one day soon, I just want to get rid of the bloody rattles! Especially the one right near my ear, it's either the seat belt thing attached to the pillar or the pillar but it drives me mad

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a load of bits at the weekend, I got a big roll of 1/2 inch thick foam, double sided tape a d a few sheets of felt so I'll get stuck in one day soon, I just want to get rid of the bloody rattles! Especially the one right near my ear, it's either the seat belt thing attached to the pillar or the pillar but it drives me mad

Where did you get your foam from mate, I need to sort out rattles and road noise too, next on my list of things to do

Rattles are one thing but in the faff on 235 toyos (very noisey tyre) can be a bit droney sometimes when cruising. Don't want to dull out the engine sound but doors and arches would be nice :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.