Coolant line question

digs

Hi, I'm fitting a turbo (CT26) to my 3SFE. The wastegate actuator is hitting the outermost metal waterbypass pipe for coolant system. See this diagram below,

3sfecoolinghosediagram.jpg

It hits the righthand side of the front pipe. To fit the turbo I need to remove part of that pipe. It looks like it's easier to actually cut it on the left hand side, where it separates from the pipe behind.

My plan was to cut it on the left and right hand side, remove and run a new pipe in it's place, that has enough flex to fit around where the actuator will then sit.

My question is assumedly these are metal due to heat as run next the exhaust manifold. Will high temperature hose be ok ? As I need it flexible enough to move out the way of the actuator. But don't want it to melt!

Any good tips?

Edited by digs

I was wondering could you take those pipes to a metal worker/fabricator and have them reshaped to fit as instead of being next to each other they come down on top of each other and swing down behind the gearbox to give you more room?

I also think keeping them metal would be a better idea as the heat right next to the manifold will be very high expecially with a turbo there as well image the temp rise when giving it a boot full when up to temp.

cheers, no one else seems to have had this issue so wandering if something isn't lined up....

I am worried about temps and a split hose (bye bye coolant!) - will poke about tomorrow to see how the pipes are all set up in terms of being able to remove

You could cut the flange off your old (fe) manifold & use it as a spacer. :thumbs:

You've already got the parts (bar an extra gasket), & then you'll not have to mess with anything else.

No knock on problems at all then. B)

Cheers guys!

Had thought of clocking turbo but that doesn't move the actuator as clocked on compressor side...I believe.

Like the spacer idea, neat. Will take a look at the bits tomorrow :) like you say, no future issues, assuming doesn't push downpipe to far forward :)

Thanks for the ideas!

The spacer's what I'd look into definitely.

See with a lot of mods, the ones you want to do can mean you end up doing 5 other mods that you have to do!

Clocking the compressor housing will mean the outlet points down (or wherever), but you'll need to fab a bracket to hold the actuator in it's original position so it operates the wastegate as it should.

You'd be facing exactly the same problem as before (only with neater boost piping options available to you).

I'd be surprised if spacing the whole manifold out by the width of a flange (8-10mm?) would screw up your downpipe alignment more than your flexi could cope with anyway.

It's not the connection to exhaust that might be an issue, as its miles out anyway, but the downpipe hitting the rad fan but think it should be ok with a spacer :)

Yeah, and the other bits like dropping the crossmember just to get the damn oil pan out! For one little bolt.... :D

Right, I've just done a bit of research for you & given a spare fe manifold I have a look over.

It's a 1 piece casting with a formed flange section around 15mm thick.

Now removing the branches & making the mating surface perfectly flat will be a lot of work & very difficult, so....

Click me.

If only everything in life was that easy, eh?

Edited by Adex

:D

Only other thing you may need to think about is longer studs or swapping to bolts.

The flange in the link is 0.4" so 10.16mm so without knowing how much clearance is needed, this looks like a good bet.

Hi cheers for the offer but have one already :)

Awesome find! :D :D will need to measure up the studs but fair amount from remembering was still exposed (car is not outside at moment)

Will measure up tomorrow and report back :)

Edited by digs

It's worth pointing out that OBX make a few different DIY flanges, so have a browse & see which will be best for your needs.

The one in the link is for a USDM 5SFE so check it's good for your c/head stud pattern.

Genuinely my pleasure.

Projects like yours & the mentality which motivates them is 100% what I signed up for. :)

Sure, lobbing in a pre-turbo'd lump is easier, but doing it yourself to create something special is what it's all about.

I had the honour of being let loose in a DIY turbo'd ST (I forget the guy's username) at a meet a few years back & loved it.

That must have been fun!

Measured up, the spacer concept is a good un but switching to a spacer between the manifold and turbo now, as new manifold studs would be needed, happier removing the ones from the turbo than the engine in case one breaks off.

Now downpipe hits radiator fan so off to work on that one :)

Edited by digs

That must have been fun!

Measured up, the spacer concept is a good un but switching to a spacer between the manifold and turbo now, as new manifold studs would be needed, happier removing the ones from the turbo than the engine in case one breaks off.

Now downpipe hits radiator fan so off to work on that one :)

can you fit a slimmer fan maybe?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.