HID headlights & the law

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The base is the same as a halogen bulb, but a HID bulb is actually a burner, with two cathodes that ignite a gas in the center. It's longer and thinner than a halogen bulb, and as a halogen headlamp (reflectors) are designed to work with the shape of the bulb, it can throw the pattern off if the bulb is of a different shape.

Hence why it blurs the pattern, and causes glare. A projector has a shield that just cuts off whatever light is above the pattern, so it doesn't matter about the bulb shape.

projectorreflector2.jpg

And yeah, PjMetalHead is right with the adapter - the HID bulbs don't fit into the standard ones as the wires are fixed permanently to the base of the HID bulbs. The HID equivalent holders are only about £8 :)

I just dont agree with HID,s in standard/reflective headlights as in most cases they are NOT setup properly and blind other motorists!

If you have them fitted illegally and your M.O.T garage passes you then great for you, but not necessarily for other road users :(

Gen 6 Projectors for example are not cheap (£350 for a set of four= £87 approx per light),but some people will pay £45 for a gen 6 coin holder that sits in the front ash tray or a optional extra JDM Flare!!!!!

So if you want HID,s put them in projectors.............end of. :P:D

Edited by 25th Anniversary

The base is the same as a halogen bulb, but a HID bulb is actually a burner, with two cathodes that ignite a gas in the center. It's longer and thinner than a halogen bulb, and as a halogen headlamp (reflectors) are designed to work with the shape of the bulb, it can throw the pattern off if the bulb is of a different shape.

Hence why it blurs the pattern, and causes glare. A projector has a shield that just cuts off whatever light is above the pattern, so it doesn't matter about the bulb shape.

And yeah, PjMetalHead is right with the adapter - the HID bulbs don't fit into the standard ones as the wires are fixed permanently to the base of the HID bulbs. The HID equivalent holders are only about £8 :)

Cheers, makes sense now. I've had HID's before ( in my old E36 COUPE) - Not really fussed about have them now just want a whiter light so i'm just going to get some normal 5000k lamps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.