cant understand why no one wants it! Lol

matt1280

I can its a fecked ST but at least he is honest. most people sell ST's knowing full well they drink oil and keep schtum :D

I would be ragging if i paid a grand for a ST, never mind an ST that failed like that :(

You could offer him a scotch pie, buttered roll (with only two bites out of it) and a couple of bent teaspoons (i'd say 5 maximum) - think thats a fair price for a car with a scrap engine in my opinion . . . . . . :D

If you have to put a replacement engine in it (sounds like thats a necessity), with the cost of that, plus the car, maybe a new clutch and the cost of other odds and sods and maybe getting somebody to do the job...........

Celica or not, Its an old P reg car that doesnt appear to have been cared for.

Its a no brainer.

Edited by foxxy

such a shame as it looks a nice ST but like everyones said with scrap engine it wont do him any favours , i mean i recently sold my special edition vx 2.5 v6 calibra with a magnificent engine and bulletproof reliablity (5 years for £450 with 11 mths mot ,2 mths tax and a few extras which made it a great car but Im afraid im glad i changed to a Tsport).

So out of the two i know which one i would of chosen unless engine was better

Edited by celica1977

I'd not checked the oil level on my car when I bought it. It's easily done getting caught up with the excitement, although I had in mind to change the oil as soon as I'm home, I never checked it.

A lot of respect to the man for saying the issues and going into so much detail. The engine is pretty much written off but I'm sure if he had the patience he could make his money back parting it out.

:hysterical: Fair play to honesty but seriousley...even if you knew nothing at all about Celicas or engines in general I doubt you'd touch this car with a barge poll! And if you do know anything about Celicas or engines youd only buy it for about half that again max :blink: Fraid this guy has got done royaly. But I guess thats the risk we all take buying private :rolleyes:

Surely if he broke this - even only partially, and then put the rest off for scrap metal - he'd make £500. The induction kit would do £40-£50 on eBay, £100 for the wheels, rear spoiler, lights, bumpers, etc, even before you get into "properly" stripping this down to panels. Plus I'd be calling trading standards or a solicitor - if the seller advertised/sold it as being in good running condition, and actually it's got a shagged engine, then although there's no Sale of goods act come back, he's still got a potential civil claim, even if he can't just return it like you would with a trader - and in my experience, most genuinely private sellers would cack it at getting a solicitor's letter threatening legal action for recovery and just refund the cash, 'cos if it went to court they'd end up paying back the selling price PLUS the legal costs.

Still be pissed if I'd bought an ST for a grand, though, running or not - only paid £750 for my GT, and that was immaculate (admittedly, it was bought off my father in law, who's an engineer and who'd kept the car looking like showroom-ready, so it's maybe not a COMPLETELY fair comparison :rolleyes: )

I also dont think selling a car as a private sale comes under the Sale of Goods Act however honest or dishonest the seller might be.

Caveat Emptor (let buyer beware) if buying privately. Thats why a lot of dealers park cars in laybys or up the street with "For Sale" notices on them. No comeback if it all goes tits up. I could be wrong.

Fair play to the honesty of this bloke though.

Could be worth a punt to buy and break for bits, but not for what he's asking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.