Is there any other reason other than a dead battery why a car would need a jump?

kittii13

we cant charge anything, our battery charger doesnt work. daves is in my car and the one the AA guy said was dead is in his car. Both cars are working fine now but Im still confused why only 1 of the 3 batteries works in mine and all 3 works in his. Not going to use the one we bought yesterday, it leaks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your not gunna belive this, swapped batteries over in both cars and errrrrrrrr..............

both started first time. Everything seems to be in order, mine is running/ starting fine with the battery the AA man said was dead, even in the nice cold mornings.

While under the bonnet I cleaned up all the terminals, front and gearbox earths and at this moment in time all seems to be good, all multimeter readings where they should be, the healing power of Mr T :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I can't believe no one has mentioned your earth yet

Get your earth wire checked (undo and clean all of the contacts), then for good measure add another one (doesn't really matter where to, just add another chuncky gauge wire to the engine block and/or chassis)

90% of engine electrical problems are down to a poor earth connection

Edited by rpsmith79

I did mention the earth to him rich when he rang me about it even said about getting one of the earthing kits

She did :xmas_laugh: :xmas_laugh: Im assuming thats what the problem was, either that or a rev 3 needs less power to start :rolleyes:

CCUK guide to a breakdown in Tesco carpark

1. Phone Bek (who didnt answer)

2. Phone Carla (Who I woke up... sorry )

4. Find a friendly Tesco lady they have jump leads on the delivery vans - this is what we did)

3. If that dont work phone the AA

With ref to an earthing kit I will add another to Kates, (easy enough) My car has extra earths on it (yes they are in secret hedgehog colours) Bek fitted then the last time the engine was out.

Remove the head or destroy the brain.

Take off the top of the engine or remove the ECU!

genius :thumbs:

Edited by Ghoulscout

sounds more like a starter motor problem to me

even a dying battery will start after a hours drive, might struggle but it will start

im also suspicious of the fact the dash lights up fine but the starter just clicks, if the battery was dying or dead the moment you try and crank it the lights will dim and flicker

get the earth cable checked and also the wires to the starter motor,

Pretty sure whatever was wrong with my car has fixed itself. I am using Daves battery and he is using my dead one. Ive driven my car most days since it "died" and it has started first time every time. shouldnt be anything wrong with the starter motor, it was replaced a few months ago, (with an old one but still).

before the battery situation last week it used to hesitate before it started but that seems to have stopped now too, definately something weird and special going on with my car but Im not complaining!!

Pretty sure whatever was wrong with my car has fixed itself. I am using Daves battery and he is using my dead one. Ive driven my car most days since it "died" and it has started first time every time. shouldnt be anything wrong with the starter motor, it was replaced a few months ago, (with an old one but still).

before the battery situation last week it used to hesitate before it started but that seems to have stopped now too, definately something weird and special going on with my car but Im not complaining!!

Just to add to that, car started today no problems after being sat around for 2 or 3 days outside house, no problems at all. I dont think it was starter motor as fiddling with that seemed to make no difference to anything, Im going with a dodgy terminal or earth (which I cleaned up)

Edited by Ghoulscout

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.