Got stopped by police for DRLs

ismith61

On my way home from work Tuesday and got stopped by police at a roadside check. Very nice WPC said to turn off my 'fog lights'...explained that they weren't fogs. She went to get large grumpy traffic cop. We had a chat about placement (equidistant and height above road), he explained to WPC about DRLs and said Thank you sir, off you go. Not so grumpy as I first thought.

So, DRLs fine but make sure they comply with regs. Would have hated to take them off as they were a bugger to fit properly!

The difference should be that fog lights 'project' light, where as DRL's should just illuminate. But I did always wonder about this also. I've been thinking about DRL's for ages but not sure about position.

The difference should be that fog lights 'project' light, where as DRL's should just illuminate. But I did always wonder about this also. I've been thinking about DRL's for ages but not sure about position.

Well there is plenty of advice on here about positioning. I recall someone posted the legal requirements but I just found this if it helps http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf The only thing I haven't managed to sort is the dimmingb of the lights with the side lights...I have a tech friend who I am hoping will tell me how it can be done.

Mine are fitted above the front splitter and just inside the inward sloping bits of the front bumper.

I did try and get a picture but getting a visible picture without the light flash obliterating the picture was difficult...I dont have a camera other than on my phone!

drlposition600x473.jpg

So wtf is the cops problem then? Idiots

I think they were training...which is why it was refered to the Traffic Police to confirm.

So wtf is the cops problem then? Idiots

Because not every Cop knows every law inside out, hence why the WPC got a Traffic Cop who know the laws regarding cars better than she did, what is so wrong with that

Why are people always so quick to criticise the Poilce for trying to do their job, it really does make me angry (and you wouldn't like me when i'm angry :lol: )

A good bit of advice about placement of DLR there though Smith, didn't know about that, cheers

Edited by rpsmith79

At least you are visible. Wish the Police would concentrate on more serious lightig issues out there. I've lost count of the 'one eyed' monsters on the roads at the moment, how on earth people can drive around with a light out, dodgey indicators relays etc baffles me.

You can clearly see the difference between fogs and DRL's, I'm no cop and even I can see that one

Yes, but you are into your cars, the WPC may have no interest in cars so didn't know the difference, but now she does, so everyone is happy

At least you are visible. Wish the Police would concentrate on more serious lightig issues out there. I've lost count of the 'one eyed' monsters on the roads at the moment, how on earth people can drive around with a light out, dodgey indicators relays etc baffles me.

Don't forget ill fitting HID's too ;)

You can clearly see the difference between fogs and DRL's, I'm no cop and even I can see that one

She didn't, but rather than arguing it went and got someone who knew. Don't see how that makes her an idiot. Can't expect everyone to know every aspect of their job, especially when the list of rules and regulations are that long.

She didn't, but rather than arguing it went and got someone who knew. Don't see how that makes her an idiot. Can't expect everyone to know every aspect of their job, especially when the list of rules and regulations are that long.

+1...

I've got a family full of copper and it drives me up the wall, all this police bashing.

Because not every Cop knows every law inside out, hence why the WPC got a Traffic Cop who know the laws regarding cars better than she did, what is so wrong with that

Why are people always so quick to criticise the Poilce for trying to do their job, it really does make me angry (and you wouldn't like me when i'm angry :lol: )

A good bit of advice about placement of DLR there though Smith, didn't know about that, cheers

I agree...the police get a lot of stick and have to do a hard job with little support. I have to say that although intitially appearing a little on the grumpy side the Traffic Police were actually very good - no sarcasm, just information (and very courteous)

x3 :thumbs:

x4 ... My Dad was in the Met Police for 30 odd years - its a tough job and not one I would want to do. :thumbs:

As i always say, if you are pleasant to the Police, 9 times out of 10 they are pleasant back, obviously in and profession you will get the odd jobsworth, and if you start kicking off for being stopped they will more than likely try and do you for something

I have always been courteous to the Police when stopped and never been booked for anything yet ;)

The new Volvo's have their DRL's in the fog light position and if I didnt have the TRD Fogs I would have them there too. I always wondered how the fuzz would differentiate between the 2. :unsure:

The p1 and p3 range have an option of having drl fogs but there isn't a fog light switch and switch off when the light switch module is turned making them legal and not projecting any light into the road Infront...I've looked Into doing it with mine but seems to much headache

I agree...the police get a lot of stick and have to do a hard job with little support. I have to say that although intitially appearing a little on the grumpy side the Traffic Police were actually very good - no sarcasm, just information (and very courteous)

x4 ... My Dad was in the Met Police for 30 odd years - its a tough job and not one I would want to do. :thumbs:

Both my uncles are police officers, doesn't change the rest of them though. I am even interested in doing it myself, but still.. that doesn't change the rest of the jobsworths.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.