pros and cons

mikca01

I considered a twin turbo years back but bought an ST205 instead; if it was a toss up between a 185 and the GTO, the latter would probably be my choice.

But between the 205 and the GTO TT, I'd say they're pretty comparible cars. Both 4wd turbo (albeit different engines/power), both readily available in UK and JDM models, both the same size (GTO is actually smaller in every dimension except length!), both are pretty reliable except for gearboxes lol

What put me off the GTO was the price at the time, they were a few grand over the 205 for a good MkII, and have a weight figure somewhere in the region of "moon". Plenty of gizmos to go wrong. And apparently the drive quality was said to be a bit uninspiring as well, although I didn't get as far as a test drive in one.

My 2p's worth GTO gearbox is shockingly bad, buy one which has had a rebuild or factor in £1k+ at some point to have it done. Lots of gizzmos to go wrong on the mk1, as time went on a lot/all of the gizzmos were removed. A good mk2 should be around £4k any less then be prepared to fix stuff. A good mk1 should be around £2.5-3k

As for the drive, I love mine, in fact i love it enough to not go back to a GT4, the power delivery is better due to more torque and sound of a V6 is just awesome :)

Dont expect it to be fast - if you do then prepare for dssapointment.

A standard 185 only puts out 200bhp in a car way heavier than a 202 - so hardly any difference in speed just the 4wd security.

Also brakes are diabolical.

Please do your homework - plenty of pitfalls such as rotting sills , cracks on bulkhead and if you dont know what your looking for then you will end up with a expensive pile of shit.

If you have £2K then buy the 165 thats for sale - a deff future classic as so rare now

Not saying a 185 is rubbish - find a good one and they are good.

But they are not a fast car at all compared to even modest modern cars - but thats true of most cars from that era.

But to get a decent 185 you need a CS / RC as at least they look the part and are from a limited production run.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.