Important info on O2 Sensors

Important information you should know about O2 sensors.

• Due to thermal aging and O2 sensor design and construction characteristics, their efficiency will deteriorate over time.
  • O2 sensors should be check every 20,000 miles (Febi quote)
  • O2 sensors should be replaced between 30,000 & 100,00 miles (Bosch quote)
  • O2 sensors should be replaced if the CAT is replaced (Febi & Bosch quote)

So in other words, you should see your O2 sensors as serviceable items around the 60-80k service period, as well as if you switch to a Sports Cat or Decat. This will ensure your car is efficient and well placed for emissions testing during MOT’s.

I'm responsible for O2 sensors at work (Blue Print) and the info I've listed was from market info & confirmed by one of our manufacturers.

Basically as soon as you connect an O2 sensor to a car & start the engine, the O2 sensor starts to suffer from thermal aging. It's a slow process, but if your car has done 80k+ miles on the original O2 sensors, then you should be getting them both changed.

Interesting. So I hate to be "that guy" but where do I get the O2 sensors from (there's 2 on the 7, pre and post cat right?) and how much are they?

Plug & Play, genuine Denso ones are around £65 each.

Pre CAT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-99-1-8-Denso-Oxygen-Sensor-11-99-/330660167119

Post CAT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-99-1-8-Denso-Oxygen-Sensor-11-99-/230719704493

Edited by J03

Front - ADT37065

Rear - ADT37081

Front & Rear - ADT37081

These can be purchased from a motor factors or garage. Expect to pay around the £85 mark, although that is an calculated estimate of what they should reasonably charge.

How much am I expect to pay in labour to get an O2 sensor fitted.. ?

On a ramp it's literally a 10min job so they shouldn't be charging anymore than a hours labour max.

I changed my post CAT in less than half hour on axle stands, but the pre CAT was a bit of a pig to get out. Had to warm the engine up & keep dowsing it in Double T (wd40) before it started to budge. Have a go yourself, if they're not too ceased in there then it's simple ;) but if they're a pig to get out then just head to the garage.

Edited by J03

On a ramp it's literally a 10min job so they shouldn't be charging anymore than a hours labour max.

I changed my post CAT in less than half hour on axle stands, but the pre CAT was a bit of a pig to get out. Had to warm the engine up & keep dowsing it in Double T (wd40) before it started to budge. Have a go yourself, if they're not too ceased in there then it's simple ;) but if they're are a pig to get out then just head to the garage.

I'd really rather not do get under the car, I know "nothing ventured nothing gained" but.. Nah :P

I'd really rather not do get under the car, I know "nothing ventured nothing gained" but.. Nah :P

Like I say they shouldn't charge anymore than £40 to do them, but when you've just shelled out £130 for 2 sensors it makes more sense to have a go yourself ;)

Again these are estimated max RRP prices.

2.0 GT

>8/95 ADT37046 – Estimated price £130

8/95> 6/96 Not Available

6/96> ADT37018 – Estimated price £120

1.8 ST

>6/96 Vin JT1...> ADT370119 – Estimated price £60

>8/95 Vin JT2...> Front Not Available

>8/95 Vin JT2...> Rear ADT37064 – Estimated price £83

8/95> Vin JT2...> Rear ADT37029C – Estimated price £151

8/95> Vin JT2...> Front ADT37070 – Estimated price £87

6/96> Vin JT1> Not Available

If I was to do this I think I'd need to fit some spacers in to see if I can stop the CEL coming on due to the sports cat. Or could this solve it perhaps?

What's the CEL code mate & what cell count is the sports cat? Could very well be that the post cat sensor is actually shagged & not the sports cat at all. I have a sports cat (200cell) with 2 new o2 sensors & haven't had any CEL's ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.