Identifying Brand and Model of Alloys

Hi All,

As the title says, just purchased some alloys on ebay for a decent price, but not sure what model it is. I've been told that they are Smiths alloys, but not too certain about that.

smithsalloys.png

If you guys are curious, the tyres are:

1. 215/45ZR17 91W Avon ZV5

2. 215/45ZR17 91W Autoguard SA802

3. 215/40ZR17 83W Kenda Radial Kaiser

4. 215/40ZR17 83W Kenda Radial Kaiser

Another silly question, when I get them, the 215/45 should be the rear wheels, and 215/40 should be the front? Or does it not make a big difference?

Thanks all

The 40/45 part is the width from alloy to ground/tarmac what ever you want to call it. But no it wount make to much difference i prefer to run same size all round. Obviously a shorter wall means not as much cushion or play in the tyre. But I like less wall due to looking much nicer in my opinion.

I'm afraid I can't help with the make of wheel but I've been informed it's illegal to have the smaller tyres on the back. How true this is I don't know but personally I'd put them on the front because they're matching tyres too

Another silly question, when I get them, the 215/45 should be the rear wheels, and 215/40 should be the front? Or does it not make a big difference?

Thanks all

Not a silly question at all, the 40 series should indeed be fitted on the front..BUT, the load rating on the tyres should be at least 88W.

The 40/45 part is the width from alloy to ground/tarmac what ever you want to call it. But no it wount make to much difference i prefer to run same size all round. Obviously a shorter wall means not as much cushion or play in the tyre. But I like less wall due to looking much nicer in my opinion.

don't forget the 30/35/40/45 etc is not a measurement as in that amount of mm, its a % of the tyre width so 205/45/17 will have a slightly smaller overall diameter than 215/45/17's & thats why i will be running a 35 profile on the rear & a 40 on the front to keep the overall sizes very close to each other :)

Edited by sh3p

Your car's suspension is set-up to give a slightly 'nose-down' stance from the factory.

Although a 5 percent profile variance won't really have too much of an effect, it is preferable to put the taller profile ones on the back.

It's the same reason you have to be careful when setting ride height on coilovers (and why you should never lower the rear without also doing the front).

A 'nose-up' stance will result in some very peculiar handling!

Possibly even suffering from front end lift at speed! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.