Car Prep for 2012 'Ring Trip?

LiamGTR

Ok so while Mikey and Viet send a million texts to and fro about hotels, money, Amsterdam etc.

I wanna sort out what I need to do and buy before heading off to the ring? :)

A checklist would be great, I know there are a few things I 'need' to comply with overseas rules etc. like warning triangles and stuff but also would like to know what YOU would recommend I do to the car etc. beforehand, i've already got it booked in for a service beforehand to check over everything

Edited by LiamGTR

Strip the whole car.

My brother laughed at me when I told him i'm taking out my back seats as they're just unnecessary weight considering i'm going alone?

I was thinking of doing that, and then just adjusting the coilovers to suit (when I get them)

My brother laughed at me when I told him i'm taking out my back seats as they're just unnecessary weight considering i'm going alone?

I was thinking of doing that, and then just adjusting the coilovers to suit (when I get them)

I guess it doesn't matter really. I mean no offence but your posts on here suggest you'll go around like a snail :D:lol: But any weight saving is useful, for example you'll save some fuel at least.

Giles or any of the guys from last year are the best to speak to about this. Previous years a checklist was posted up on the forum for poeple to check so might be worth asking one of those :thumbs:

Cheers Dawn i'll try dig it up

I guess it doesn't matter really. I mean no offence but your posts on here suggest you'll go around like a snail :D:lol: But any weight saving is useful, for example you'll save some fuel at least.

Snail... that's not even the start of it! lol,

In terms of rules and regulations, there are none. When I went a couple of years ago they didn't check anything on the car (or license/insurance) - just turn up, pay and drive. Worth reading up on and watching the videos at the track about rules and safety whilst driving.

I'm going again in the Celica in just under a month. I'm not planning on doing anything special to the car, just checking tyre conditions and pressures, make sure the car is running smooth (service), making sure all loose objects are fastened down or removed. Warning triangle, high-vis, fire extinguisher e.t.c. are all a good idea, as well as a list of Nurburgring emergency contact numbers.

I'm not planning on pushing the car hard as the Celica is too valuable to me and I don't want to go beyond its limits into the armco (thats until the red-mist kicks in! :P .) The best preparation you could do is learn the track (and your car) as best you can. You'll never get the impression of how bumpy or steep the gradients are, but learning the layout, black spots and best lines will help massively. There are a few tight corners hidden which you won't see until too late - the weakest point in most cars is the driver.

Edited by Peter150

• Do your homework! Make sure you're legal to drive in all of the countries you pass through in Europe, warning triangles, first aid kits, hi-viz clothing, the whole nine yards.
  • Try to get low-cost cover specifically for the 'Ring. Most insurers have that well bypassed in their policies. Double-check cos it can be expensive to get wrong.
  • Change or top-up all fluids (change oil, top up coolant and screenwash and replace brake fluid with Dot4 or Dot5.1)
  • Clean/Replace air filter
  • Clean MAF (reset ECU afterwards)
  • Check plugs
  • Check/replace pads. Go for a fast road pad such as RedStuff or Yellowstuff.
  • Make sure the car is free from squeaks and rattles. Check suspension and chassis components where possible for wear and tear.
  • Tyres, make sure you have plenty of grip. Get good tyres if yours are crap. It's hard work on the rubber.
  • Get some laps in on Forza or GT5 (Seriously! The main reason people have accidents there is lak of track knowledge!!)
  • When going out on track make sure you have nothing ratlling round in the boot or footwells etc.
  • Make sure to have spare oil, coolant and even brakefluid just in case.
  • Make sure you have locking wheelnut key incase you need ot do any maintenance.
  • Have a reasonable selection of tools between you. Roadside fixing of cars is easier with the tools to do it!
  • Take it easy and build up speed over a number of laps. There's no shame in getting overtaken, it costs less than an accident too!!!!

Just be sensible. It's as safe or as dangerous as you make it for yourself. In truth you will feel a little intimidated by it, naturally, and not knowing the track is going to be the biggest factor in how much fun you have or how likely you are to have an off. Some fast fast corners are followed by blind bends or tricky turns so don't give it 10/10ths until you KNOW what's around the corner or at the top of the next straight!

Even the pro's get it wrong, so be careful... http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25392&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social%2B&utm_campaign=Liam%2BDoran

Do not overtake on the right. If the police catch you, you will get into trouble.

Check to see how much life you have left in your tyres as you'll take a few mm off if you hammer it around.

Check your brake pads and discs to see if you have any slight warp. If you do get them changed before you go there as it will just get worse.

Filming is prohibited around the track and if you are unlucky enough to have an accident and they see filming or timing gear in your car you will get into more trouble.

The ring is in the rural RheinlandPfalz area of Germany, where the majority of people do not speak good English and some will refuse to speak to you in English so some basic German would not go astray.

Unless your car is built for hammering it constantly, it is a wise idea to do a lap or three and then come off for 5-10minutes to let everything cool down. The ring is much longer than most other tracks and the elevation change is ~300m, so it hammers every part of the car.

Some people do get sick on the ring, so some of those band things might be necessary.

Hope that helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.