Steering Wheel shake

Has anyone experienced steering wheel shake at around 70 mph.Wheels have been aligned and balanced ,new tyres have been put on. although she has the wrong sized wheels on. Bought the car 3 months ago so am a new member.

Jennyw

i would go back to where you had the wheels balanced and have them check them one of the wheels could have thrown one of the weights off if the rim hadnt been cleaned properly before it was stuck on just tell them you getting wheel vibration at 70

Suspension components, too. There's an endless list of things that might cause wobble, though if it's at a specific speed it's often a balance issue.

Take them to a different place and get them re-balanced? You often get a surprise when they go on a different machine.

Any vibration under moderate to hard braking?

Worth getting the undercarriage checked all round by someone who knows what they're doing (often a back street garage rather than Kwik Fit. ;)

I don't want to make another thread about this since I think this one is exactly what I'm after..:but also don't want to hijack it either!

My car is doing the same:

1. Steering wheel shake and wheel alignment has been done

2. Turns out front wheel was buckeled so moved it to the back with 2 perfectly fine wheels and tyres at the front: still shaking

3. Shaking is alot worse under braking

4. Suspension is been checked on a high level by lee

So what it may be is that the new BBK I've put on could have warped disks (which is shit because they are like £300 to replace. Lee also said the disks look well over worn and need replaced so I'm not happy about being sold old disks!)

Or the Disks may not be sitting true and there could be a tiny bit of fouling behind them which will cause them to wobble a bit when rotating

Or the bottom of suspension may be a bit bent

Hope this also helps your problem mate since it coul be one of the above I've mentioned

Finally how do I check the inner cv to see if it needs replaced?

Thanks

Having a buckled on the back will still make it feel like its wobbling bud

in my experience anyway! I thought it was one of my fronts, swapped it out with another alloy and it felt like it was on rails!

Can check your CV joint by sticking her on full lock and moving forward, if you get a knocking noise its normally time for a replacement :)

Edited by RoryK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.