Stupid snapped bolt

oMIKEYo

Need help.

I fitted my rear strut brace fine yesterday so then I cut the boot plastics etc for it.

Now this morning I refitted it all in and refitting the bracket for the strut it went tinggggg

The strut is the sports m one so it has

\_----------_/

The _/ bracket had a welded bolt in it which the main bar ----- connects to.

Now I'm that stupid and in a rush to get things done I over tightened it.

I can put a normal bolt through it but first id need to remove the current bolt... :(

How?!?!? Annoyed!

a3fdcd1c.jpg

a88d8b54.jpg

aad7a0a9.jpg

8d10d661.jpg

Meant to be like

67f09a7f.jpg

Edited by oMIKEYo

Wow, looks super pikey!

I'd at least have a washer on the other side. On topic though you need to drill a hole and use an extractor..

screw-extractors_10820739_250x250.jpg

Then think about using better components :lol:

Edited by badj

Will that pull the weld away too? As the other side of the threaded bit on the bottom is welded on :(

I have some nuts and bolts with washers I could use. Washer both sides or just the 'nut' side?

Edited by oMIKEYo

The main issue is that the surface area of the nut isnt contacting much of the surface area of the strut brace, so its quite a weak fixing. The fact that the bolt sheared that easily would suggest you're better off replacing both sides with better materials as this is supposed to be a component that resists chassis flex but actually sheared in situ ?

The main issue is that the surface area of the nut isnt contacting much of the surface area of the strut brace, so its quite a weak fixing. The fact that the bolt sheared that easily would suggest you're better off replacing both sides with better materials as this is supposed to be a component that resists chassis flex but actually sheared in situ ?

Good point. I'll change both :) cheers. Washer both sides?

If needed, grind flat first OR drill from the other side. Use a small pilot drill first and make sure you get it central.

You MUST use washers - the one which shows how it should be done, the nut has almost dissapeared down through the hole.

another option? . . drill out what's left of the captive threads etc.Drill suitable size hole straight through. Fit / replace with a piece of stainless steel threaded bar - example ebay item 350510891622 - wth suitable size washers each side and a stainless steel cap nut to make it look pretty ( optional) - example ebay item 220936601683.

So you finish with an assembly of "cap nut - washer- bracket - brace - washer - cap nut". . . A bit of thread lock liquid for the cap nuts to stop them vibrating loose and that should do it ( would look OK as well).

Hope this is another option for you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.