Buying a ca from Ireland

LiamGTR

yep, if it's coming from the north you'll need to do nothing as it will have a uk log book, from the south it will need registering and MOT (the southern MOT don't transfer to UK)

on that point, be prepared for a pile of big motors ( supras, evos, skylines) coming from the south to the mainland and the north cheap as their tax system is changing this year, the highest emission cars/jeeps will be guts of 2000 euro for a years road tax !!

I looked at doing this with a SS3 beams I saw a year or so ago. Rang the DVLA who were useless and kept telling me conflicting stories! It was a while ago when I looked so I may have a few details wrong but it went something like...

You need to insure it via the VIN on the chassis.

Go to Ireland, collect the car (making sure it has irish tax still)

Bring it over the port. From here you can't legally drive it without British Tax and MOT (although it's a grey area from speaking to the DVLA)

Get the car towed from the port to your home and organize some kind of vehicle check test with the DVLA (I'm guessing it's like a stricter MOT)

The car then needs registering with the DVLA and Taxing (you have to go to a DVLA office to do this)

It basically was going to cost me a lot of money, so I didn't bother and bought a GT-Four.

I looked at doing this with a SS3 beams I saw a year or so ago. Rang the DVLA who were useless and kept telling me conflicting stories! It was a while ago when I looked so I may have a few details wrong but it went something like...

You need to insure it via the VIN on the chassis.

Go to Ireland, collect the car (making sure it has irish tax still)

Bring it over the port. From here you can't legally drive it without British Tax and MOT (although it's a grey area from speaking to the DVLA)

Get the car towed from the port to your home and organize some kind of vehicle check test with the DVLA (I'm guessing it's like a stricter MOT)

The car then needs registering with the DVLA and Taxing (you have to go to a DVLA office to do this)

It basically was going to cost me a lot of money, so I didn't bother and bought a GT-Four.

sort of

buy the car , then either insure it in roi ( not easy without a roi address unless the sellers a nice guy ,,, use his ) or insure it as you say through the usual channel but from the vin number

if insured with roi bring it over and drive it knowing you have 6 months to sort it out , dont forget to tell the insurance company straight away of a change of address , roi insurance is just the wrong side of how feckin much

if insured here bring it into the docks , then either book a local mot and drive it there perfectly legally or trailer it away , if you do book it in for the mot understand you are allowed to go directly to and from the mot so book it at your local place and not at the port

so now you have the mot and insurance , get the registration form from your local dvla or online , fill it in and they will do 1 of 2 things , they will either request to see the car ( trailer it there and back ) or will send you the paperwork and reg through the post , you can do it the same day if you so wish , you will also have to pay for 6 months tax at the same time

there can be an issue with paperwork and tax/vat , if the cars less than 10 yrs old you could be nailed for tax , if its over theres still a chance but ifs its been registered in the eu then normaily they ignore this as it will need to have been paid to get that registration in the host country , they can demand the paperwork to see its been paid though so be warned , another do what now ! thing is you cant drive to the mot centre with plates on , you will need to go plateless , its legal and ill be buggered if i know how but this is what i was informed and did ! felt wrong going there and did you know a gsx750 katana will hit 133 ? it did on the way back :twisted:

now me ive got a trade insurance can do what i please , theres still a sea of paperwork but i can go there , buy and drive it home regardless

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.