brake fluid change

Gstraw

Hey

Im looking to upgrade to a BBK and was thinking I may aswell change the brake fluid also. So im thinking 5.1 but how much do I need and which ones do you recommend? Motul? any place I can get it at the best possible price?

thanks

Gstraw

There is no exact way of knowing how much you need because you have to bleed until you 'guesstimate' you have flushed through; if you are lucky, you might be able to see a colour change between old and new. But based on my experience of doing it on the Gen7, I think Opie is right and that 1.5L should give you a margin, though a 2 litre pack barely costs more. DOT3, 4 and 5.1 are all interchangeable glycol based fluids as distinct from 5 which is silicone. Toyota now only supply 5.1, but the Gen7 was designed to use DOT 4 and that's what I stuck with.

The reason i used so much was i bled 250ML off of each caliper as i changed fluid grade's and wanted to make sure it was properly flushed through first. The ofcourse there is spillage, which for me was a lot! lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.