Assistance

pete66

Does anyone in the Vicinity of Skelmersdale this Saturday with nothing better to do, fancy helping me fit the radiator I just bought off Gav into my Gen5 vert after taking the bust one out? :D Did I say help? Well what I really meant was you do it and I'll make a brew and even throw in a bacon sarnie :rolleyes: Don't all be volunteering at once though, cos there'll only be one packet of bacon. :lol:

It is very easy to do, given the physical ability. One of the most straightforward jobs on a Gen 5, and it's even quite hard to get an airlock in the system when re-filling. Employ a local teenager, get the buggers off the streets for an hour. :)

Might be worth replacing the thermostat while the coolant's out, too.

Well you can't blame me for trying. The 2 hoses from my transmission into the bottom of the Rad, I'm gussing i'll need to clamp them off before removing them, to prevent transmission fluid all over my shoes? :blush: Also may be a good idea to get some replacement bolts for all the ones I'll be shearing off and a drill and tap and dye set for the bolts that shear off flush to the body frame. :P Call me pesemistic but my kharma is not good whenever i do DIY in the home or on the car. :rolleyes:

£20 job at our place if u fancy a ride out

If you where closer mate I'd take you up on it. I'm having to keep the revs below 2.5k to stop decorating the windscreen so motorways are a no no at the moment. I'm going to have a go myself, I've just got to remember to be patient :rolleyes: I'll see if the local motor factors has a couple of crimpers for the bottom hoses to the transmission, that's probably my only stumbling block hopefully.

Even I managed to change a rad mate and I have zero DIY skills. Its held on by 2 bolts (that are right at the top), 2 hoses and some wires. OK it took me longer than sids 6 mins but very very easy if i can do it anybody can.

With the hoses mate just a big pair of square pliars not spesh tools needed

Edited by Ghoulscout

Hoses from transmission?

Are you talking about the 2 water hoses to the radiator, or are you looking at a gearbox oil cooler? I'm not too clued up on the Gen 5, but I would have thought that the were completely separate.

With the water hoses you want to drop all the old coolant and give the system a good flush out before you fit your new radiator. Make sure you add new anti-freeze though.

Hoses from transmission?

Are you talking about the 2 water hoses to the radiator, or are you looking at a gearbox oil cooler? I'm not too clued up on the Gen 5, but I would have thought that the were completely separate.

With the water hoses you want to drop all the old coolant and give the system a good flush out before you fit your new radiator. Make sure you add new anti-freeze though.

Auto Gen 5 has two hoses at the bottom for the auto fluid cooler, not sure if its and auto or not

Yeh it's an auto. I don't want to damage the auto cooler hoses by clamping them with mole grips though. I might get away with using some of the spare hose off my aquarium, to temporarily join the 2 ends together, as I think the diameter should be a good fit. I beleive the following steps are correct.

Remove the 2 electric fans from the radiator, make sure any wires are clear. Unbolt the radiator and slide it up and out after removing the hoses. Then get the hose pipe in there on full blast to flush the system through. Have I missed anything?

Yeh it's an auto. I don't want to damage the auto cooler hoses by clamping them with mole grips though. I might get away with using some of the spare hose off my aquarium, to temporarily join the 2 ends together, as I think the diameter should be a good fit. I beleive the following steps are correct.

Remove the 2 electric fans from the radiator, make sure any wires are clear. Unbolt the radiator and slide it up and out after removing the hoses. Then get the hose pipe in there on full blast to flush the system through. Have I missed anything?

You dont have to clamp them, I just wedged them upright somewhere, just be sure to check your auto fluid when your done. I hardly lost any fluid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.