Replacing front wheel studs - ST205

Vince Noir

Hi guys,

Decided to replace the front wheel studs as the wheels have been on and off so many times causing the threads to become a bit tatty. Now the one's i've got from eBay look a little different from the one's i've removed from the hub - slightly longer splines but the same diameter as the OEM. I've having a devil's own job of pulling them through even after filing the splines down a bit to help.

Here's the new next to the old (new being the black ones)

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

You can see the difference in the neck there. Been using the usual technique of pulling them through using the brake disc refitted with a suitable spacer/nut to pull in tight with a wheel nut but no joy, can't get them in by more than two or three mil. Right now they're in the freezer chilling so as to contract them further still :D

Any ideas guys? At the mo I'm thinking of just heading to Mr. T if there are some standard OEM ones available.

Only just seen this,i snapped one on my old 205 Oli.Just went straight to Mr T and got 5 of them .didnt cost much as i remember and you know theyre the right ones.I dont think ive got any left,sure i gave the last one away to someone on here..Cant help you getting the old ones out either.Brute force and ignorance wins the day!

Fun like this always comes around on moving day, gotta love it :) Right so what I ended up doing was filling the spline back to the level of the Mr. T ones, then also giving the remaining spline a bit of a light filing before putting them in the freezer for a half hour. After that the wheel hub holes got a clean with penetrative oil and the studs got a bit of ceratec grease.

Using the previously mentioned technique (plus jamming the disc rotation with a crow bar between two old studs) the studs finally started to pull through, albeit with some brute force and plenty of ignorance.

I'm happy the studs are fine but for peace of mind I'm gonna get some Mr. T items anyway. Always like to do it right n' all! :D

Thanks guys, the only rattle gun i've got is some random lambo branded 19.2v item that doesn't cut it. Need an air powered one for this job i reckon.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.