Battery charger and reconditioners

VietTS

Edd1Ninety9

i only drive the car on some Sunday and last night when i try to start the car it would not start at all :S i charged it on a normal cheapo battery charger and after 5min of charging it say the battery is fully charged.i got the car started on a jump lead and i drove around for an hour and i still couldnt start it after :S

Goldspeed

hmmm i might have to invest in one of these.just hope my battery is not faulty/damage :S

Depends on why you want to use it, If it’s to “maintain” a good battery then they work very well in keeping your battery healthy; however if the battery has lost performance then it may not bring it back up. Basic rule for batteries don’t leave them flat (discharged) for example; if your battery goes completely flat and it’s left like that for some time then it will lose its charging capacity which under normally working conditions will only get worse. Some battery conditioners can still bring them back from the brink, but the “save a battery” is designed to maintain a good battery.

To tell if a battery is damaged fully charge and leave disconnected for 24hours for the battery to settle and then read the voltage if it is below 12.6v then you have a problem.

12.6v + ok

12.4v – 12.6v up to 40% loss of efficiency

12.4v and below Replace battery

£86! :o

I thought a CTEK XS3600 was expensive at £40. Lidl do a Battery "Smart" Charger for £12.99 which can be left connected without removing the terminals. I swop this version between the MG and Triumph during the Winter.

Depends on why you want to use it, If it’s to “maintain” a good battery then they work very well in keeping your battery healthy; however if the battery has lost performance then it may not bring it back up. Basic rule for batteries don’t leave them flat (discharged) for example; if your battery goes completely flat and it’s left like that for some time then it will lose its charging capacity which under normally working conditions will only get worse. Some battery conditioners can still bring them back from the brink, but the “save a battery” is designed to maintain a good battery.

To tell if a battery is damaged fully charge and leave disconnected for 24hours for the battery to settle and then read the voltage if it is below 12.6v then you have a problem.

12.6v + ok

12.4v – 12.6v up to 40% loss of efficiency

12.4v and below Replace battery

thanks for the info

i just checked the battery and its reading at 11.8 :o:(

for my new battery im gonna get myself a solar panel to protect it from going completely flat.any good?

Edited by VietTS

thanks for the info

i just checked the battery and its reading at 11.8 :o:(

for my new battery im gonna get myself a solar panel to protect it from going completely flat.any good?

Solar panels are ok, most only combat battery drain, for example on a boat where a fully charged battery may be left for mouths it will stop it from discharging due to cold conditions, but won’t actively charge the battery. Tested one my friend had and it only outputted 12v? Which is useless? Should be 12.6 – 12.8 for a holding charge.

What I would do. Buy a good battery with a 5 year guarantee, top tip check the voltage of the battery before you buy it, as some company’s don’t maintain batteries correctly... 12.6 V + :D

Including VAT and delivery, that charger is ~£110 which is far more than I would ever pay for a charger. It isn't even clear what it's maximum charge rate is; I would want at least 5 amps, pref 8 amps. I normally use a battery charger once every ~6 weeks or so just to ensure the batteries in my cars are fully charged (it is well established that they last much longer if you avoid letting them get below 50% charge). Just depending on how much they have been used, they sometimes prove to be just about fully charged by the alternator, but will sometimes take quite a lot of charge. I just use a bog standard 5 amp charger and ensure it doesn't over charge by keeping an eye on it and using a cheap plug-in mains timer.

Regarding the battery voltage; that is very dependent on temperature, so saying that it should be a minimum of this or that is a bit uncertain. The key issue is that a battery will continue to give at least 9.5 volts or so during cold cranking and that really needs a load tester to assess it (about £30).

Edited by bazz54

Postman came in early today to give me the new battery ( odyssey extreme racing 25 )

First thing I check was the voltage and it come out as 12.7v :D

Well the battery is now sorted :) im gonna leave the solar power panel on the battery while it's on the car for a week and see if the voltage will drop.I got a mini voltage gauge laying around the house so im gonna install it onto the battery so I can keep my eye on it during the cold season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.