Tar :(

arizona

Tardis is a great product and the only tar remover i ever use, however please don't buy from Ebay! They post it illegally as it's a solvent based product and shouldn't be sent via royal mail as they do... Autosmart have been trying for ages to get Ebay to stop it.

See Elite Car care as you can buy 5L for £20 (Split it with friends if needed) but it's an amazing product! http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Tardis&osCsid=141625fc9e0c97b9e7e7948db7451d1b

For a polish by hand, you can't beat Autoglym Super Resin polish really, it leaves a nice finish but also contains fillers to help hide swirls and defects, that will leave a nice base for you to wax using your HD Wax.

T-cut is an old product, designed for solid colours and not for modern paints with clear coats so i wouldn't use it these days, there's far too many other products out there that are far more advanced and actually designed for modern paints and finishes.

Thanks

I have used white spirit over many years, and on several different cars, to remove tar and have never had a problem. I believe that Halfords tar remover (which I have also used) is essentially white spirit. Pure white spirit would evaporate and leave no residues, but it will remove all traces of wax and polish off the paint leaving it appearing slightly dull. Whatever product is used to remove tar, it will do the same - if it will dissolve tar it will certainly dissolve wax.

Regarding T-cut, the clue is in the name "cut" and this is how wiki defines a cutting compound; "Cutting compound consists of an abrasive suspended in a paste. Like most abrasives, it comes in various grit sizes dependent upon how much matter is to be removed. It is used on automotive paintwork to cut through (abrade) oxidised paint or to polish out scratches in the paintwork. The oxidised paint is duller than fresh paint and the cutting compound is used to expose this fresher surface".

The problem is that some paints re-oxidise again very quickly after the top surface is removed, so the benefits may be very short lived. Probably the main use for T-cut is by dodgy garages for tarting up rough cars just before being sold.

Tardis is a great product and the only tar remover i ever use, however please don't buy from Ebay! They post it illegally as it's a solvent based product and shouldn't be sent via royal mail as they do... Autosmart have been trying for ages to get Ebay to stop it.

See Elite Car care as you can buy 5L for £20 (Split it with friends if needed) but it's an amazing product! http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Tardis&osCsid=141625fc9e0c97b9e7e7948db7451d1b

For a polish by hand, you can't beat Autoglym Super Resin polish really, it leaves a nice finish but also contains fillers to help hide swirls and defects, that will leave a nice base for you to wax using your HD Wax.

T-cut is an old product, designed for solid colours and not for modern paints with clear coats so i wouldn't use it these days, there's far too many other products out there that are far more advanced and actually designed for modern paints and finishes.

Thanks

Thanks for the guidance there :) i was confused between wax and polish and what i have is the Autoglym Super Resin polish so i can do that and get the HD wax to follow up. I always thought wax and polish were the same thing but have just been reading the detailing thread too, very good thread

I have used white spirit over many years, and on several different cars, to remove tar and have never had a problem. I believe that Halfords tar remover (which I have also used) is essentially white spirit. Pure white spirit would evaporate and leave no residues, but it will remove all traces of wax and polish off the paint leaving it appearing slightly dull. Whatever product is used to remove tar, it will do the same - if it will dissolve tar it will certainly dissolve wax.

Regarding T-cut, the clue is in the name "cut" and this is how wiki defines a cutting compound; "Cutting compound consists of an abrasive suspended in a paste. Like most abrasives, it comes in various grit sizes dependent upon how much matter is to be removed. It is used on automotive paintwork to cut through (abrade) oxidised paint or to polish out scratches in the paintwork. The oxidised paint is duller than fresh paint and the cutting compound is used to expose this fresher surface".

The problem is that some paints re-oxidise again very quickly after the top surface is removed, so the benefits may be very short lived. Probably the main use for T-cut is by dodgy garages for tarting up rough cars just before being sold.

T-cut is what we used to use on the trade ins before they went on the forecourt where i used to work years ago, yep that was all they got :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.