which one is faster 0-60

smoog83

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logically the lighter MR2 with less transmission losses is the quicker car assuming everything else to be equal. But, whilst theories and logic are great in the classroom they don't necessarily hold true on the street as there are too many other variables to consider.

Traction depends on conditions. MR2s are tail happy, GT4s are grippy buggers. Perfect conditions favour the MR, the worse the conditions get, the more the advantage swings to the Celica. Do you want to race on a warm summer afternoon, or on a rainy night? If it snows I would bet everything on the Celica because there's a chance the MR doesn't even make it to the race! I've had a few 200+ hp rear drive cars and even the difference in traction from warm sun in the afternoon to a cool evening later the same day can mean the difference between a good launch or 20 yards of peeling. Incidentally the grippiest tarmac you will find on the street is the funny colour stuff near junctions and crossings, then compare it to the start line at Santa Pod where you can watch people walk on it and lose their shoes.

These are old cars. How quick they were when they came out the factory doesn't mean they are that quick now. Is an MR2 that has had a hard life still quicker than a GT4 that has lead a sheltered, cherished existatnce? Even if you take two brand new identical cars off a production line, one will be quicker than the other. Also sometimes the official figures are just not attainable in the real world, E type Jag, Pontiac GTO and Maestro Turbo all being well documented examples of this.

From the figures quoted on here it seems the MR2 is at best about half a second quicker to 60. That means the driver of the slower car in the other lane could go on amber and tell everyone he saw you off.

Is half a second all there is to it when choosing between two very different cars?

For a straight 0-60 I'm still toiling to see how a car that's over 100kg heavier and with extra transmission losses from the same engine is expected to accelerate better.

You can do a side by side comparison at http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?pid=comparison

Putting a "Toyota MR2 Turbo Mk2 Rev 3" against "Toyota Celica ST205 GT-4" I get 194bhp/ton for the MR2 and 186bhp/ton for the GT4, and listed 0-60 times of 5.7 and 5.9 seconds, 0-100 of 14.4 and 15.4.

consider this

how much bhp can you put through a set of wheels before they wheelspin ???? mine spins up at 3500 so approx 70 bhp , i have 2 wheel drive

so how much power can you put out before wheelspin if you have 2 axles that are driven ? it wont be 140bhp due to weight distribution but based on this id say 120 bhp

so off the line the gt4 SHOULD be having a 50bhp advantage and this is what would put it into the lead in a like for like drag race , the weight difference would only become used at higher speeds , a roll on from 80 then the mr2 will win but the additional traction afforded by the 4wd means the gt4 MUST be first off the line and therefore accelerate faster upto a point , all the videos in the world dont mean anything , someone may screw things up , a driver may be better than another and theres always one special run in everyone , myself i posted a 0.026 reaction time at long marston raceway in 1987 and constantly hit 0.2 reaction times in almost all the racing i have done

Just to pipe in (bare in mind I'm clueless and clutching at straws) Don't 4wd cars have terrible trouble doing brilliant 0-60 times and it's quite unhealthy to do something like that to them?

the additional load due to the driveshafts and axles kills clutches , if you dial in 5 thou you either sit there in a cloud of acrid smoke as the clutch dies or you wheelspin off up the road

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.