M.O.T. Testers

Can you people tell me, is it a failure if the main beam bulbs appear to be blue when not illuminated.The upgraded bulbs in the Gen 6 have a Blue coating on them and in the past i have had to change them back to standard to get the ticket. Is this correct?

it is not a failure .the only failure for forward facing lamps is for sidelamps being a colour other than white, or the wrong colour indicators ,if your car fails for blue headlamps ask the tester to show you the failure in the testing manual ,he cant cos its not in there ,

i am not talking out of my hat here ,this very subject came up on the vosa mot refresher course that i attended last week .if it turned up at my station it would pass ,,,hope this helps

It shouldn't make any difference when they're not illuminated, unless the car obvioulsy resembles a Police car in which case they might get twitchy about it. Not an MoT point, though..

However, when they're turned on, the Regs say they have to show only either a white or yellow beam (The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, Schedule 4, Part 1), with this colour restriction applying to full-beam lights too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.