dodgy noise and vibration from front pas wheel

driving home today, car started making what can only be described as a helicopter noise, RATATATAT, first thought was flat tyre, but all ok.

identified it as being from the front wheel on the passenger side. and my bruv said he could feel vibration coming through his foot, in the footwell.

not on starting from stationary, but constant at over 10 mph? seems to be less when turning left and more when turning right.

any ideas,

if it helps, ive just had the brakes replaced and only done 50 miles with them, (so prime suspect maybe)

Edited by simonwref

would have thought its the cv joint , has it been touched at all ?

could also be the brakes depending on the noise , do me a favour and dont drive it until you have jacked it up and had a good look round to make sure its safe , id also give the fella a shout whos recently done the work and tell him theres a noise , he should come sort it out for you asap

would have thought its the cv joint , has it been touched at all ?

could also be the brakes depending on the noise , do me a favour and dont drive it until you have jacked it up and had a good look round to make sure its safe , id also give the fella a shout whos recently done the work and tell him theres a noise , he should come sort it out for you asap

cv joint wasnt touched, ive had to replace a cv joint and this noise is different. more of a rumbling knocking rather than a clicking?

Edited by simonwref

Id jack the car up and try pushing and pulling the wheel..... could be that the wheel bearing is away?

when your turning right the weight of the car will be transferred to the outside (left wheel) making the sound more prominent - strange that it just appeared tho :unsure:

just made a shocking discovery!!!

after jdmawd suggested wheel bearing, i went to have another look and as i did so noticed something.

i have preface flat seat wheel nut where the thread comes right through and is visible from the outside of the wheel.

i noticed that all the nuts on this wheel were loose, less than half threaded, half the thread visible and turnable by finger, checked the other wheels and the stud came all the way through the nut with no thread visible.

so tightened them and no knocking!

literally, i dont thnk they were far away from coming off completely, bye bye wheel!!!

but, how did this happen?

a ) did the mechanic not tighten the up (but if so, why did it take 50 miles for them to start knocking)

b ) is there some fault in the hub or bearing that forced them to come loose (after 50 miles)

(i hope its a) sort of but sort of not :lol:)

Edited by simonwref

hes dropped the wheel on and then jacked the car down forgetting to tighten the nuts , these thing happen from time to time

get the car jacked up asap and make sure theres been no thread damage , also check out the wheel itself to see if the tyres been rubbing and make sure its not got holes knocked into it , id do this before your next drive like ,,,,now

i put it done to not been tighten up, it does take couple miles to come loose, as wheel most prob as not been put back on hub right, common on most old car as the rust on them, just thank fook it did not come off on your at even slow speed, o you would have been :o fook what happen :unsure:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.