Gen5 Convertible roof mechanism referb help

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Gen 5 convertible.

The metal roof mechanism is in good working order but its suffering from a little aluminum corrosion.

I need to sort it as the white powder is flaking into the car.

I have made a start by rubbing back one side to the good ally.

My question is shall i just paint it with Hammerite or similar or will it need some sort of protection before painting?

I dont want to remove the hood, so just looking to do the best job possible in situ.

Any help or tips appreciated.

Current corrosion

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Made a start removing corrosion

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

thanks

Baz

Best bet is to get some Etch Primer, then paint it black

Either that or try some POR-15 anti rust paint, not sure how well it would work on aluminium though, but it sticks like s**t to a shovel on bare steel, might be an ides to have a look to see if it works on ali as it really is an ultra hard wearing paint that stuff (it's what is holding most of the Gen 5's on here together, just ask Infernalzen biggrin.gif)

if you sit in and close the roof you will find even more !!!! its a common thing , i hit it with hammerite then followed it off with black cellulite paint for a reasonable finish , ive also goto do my present car and ill do the same again

do me a favour , grease the shit out of the locking arms , they can and do break off and arnt easy to get hold of

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.