Can decreased tyre pressure cause less grip in the wet?

Use to run Goodyear on my '99 Mono Sports on the ST, and their pressure was 36. Moss's have now put new Pirelli P6000 205/55 R16 91W on all, except PSR (just noticed this is 205/55 R16 91V today) on these alloys, for everyday use - running on a Gen 6 GT. Originally they said to pressure them at 34, but I was getting slight wobble at 70, so they've now suggested and dropped the pressure to 32....

Alls fine in the dry, but got a bit of a shock Friday on the way home. There was surface water... but not masses, as the rain had stopped a couple of hours earlier. I aquaplained slightly at 50 just joining the dual part of A64... everyone else were managing ok with speeds of 60 and over...

My questions are....

Does 3 tyres with 91W and 1 with 91V (Passenger side rear) make a difference?

What pressure would everyone else recommend for these tyres?

Does under pressure give less grip in wet? (as I aways thought it was over pressurised that caused slides)

This incident freaked me out, and dont trust these tyres in the wet (bought them 23 April 11), so would like to get this sorted asap

Just found out these are reknown for it .. see link http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/P6000_2.htm

Edited by The Blue Meenie

Quick search online and it seems that P6000 are deadly in the wet, alot of people are complaining about lack of grip in wet conditions, so think that would be the problem

Just looking into this now ... what site did you use for the info?

Does 3 tyres with 91W and 1 with 91V (Passenger side rear) make a difference?

the W and V are the speed ratings, i think W is 168mph and V 150mph, won't make a difference to grip level.

yep i have p6000 on the front of my MR2, any confidence i have when driving goes right out the window, totally shite tyres for wet roads, pretty good in the dry tho

What pressure have you set your P6000 at? and are they the same dims as mine?

p6000 s are pretty much lethal in the wet ,too hard a compound but as a rule tyres for the wet are pressured slightly higher than in the dry 2-3 psi or so

the reason for this is that the tyre is expanded slightly more so puts a wider tread area on the road .it is however a trade off between grip and sidewall deflection ,if the tyre is pressured too much then the sidewalls can be too stiff and as tyres are an integral part of the cars suspension pressures affect handling

p6000 s are pretty much lethal in the wet ,too hard a compound but as a rule tyres for the wet are pressured slightly higher than in the dry 2-3 psi or so

the reason for this is that the tyre is expanded slightly more so puts a wider tread area on the road .it is however a trade off between grip and sidewall deflection ,if the tyre is pressured too much then the sidewalls can be too stiff and as tyres are an integral part of the cars suspension pressures affect handling

Many thanks for the info :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.