Hot or Cold?

I usually check my oil level when the engine is cold (or at least has only been turned over for a minute or two)

I thought I'd Google it today to see what the consensus is on this, and the differences in opinions on this are huge, which I find quite alarming considering it is such a basic maintenance necessity on a car.

So, when do YOU check yours? cold, hot or somewhere in between?

:)

I check mine when most of the oil is in the sump. ;) Sometimes I just check level before I start up (cold). And sometimes after a run (hot). So both really. Can't go wrong there me thinks. :D

Btw what you doing with a Mazda6? :o:)

Edited by Zorg

I check mine when the engine is slightly warm, I start it up to get the oil moving around first then turn it off and wait a few minuets to allow the oil to settle before checking,then add in extra oil and start again!!

<shock horror>

I don't need to check mine between services... never needed to, the oil level every 6000 miles has so far always been OK. I do the occasional dip, but I've never needed to top-up, either on my latest or my past Gen 6 GT.

I check mine hot & cold. As I'm not running a baffled sump, I make sure that the oil level is at the max marker when its hot/warm. So if its max when cold, its lost some oil!

Like Zorg, I like to play it safe!

I've always done it when it's cold. The dipstick is down to the bottom of the sump and it's a measure of how much oil is in there and available to lubricate around the engine. If it's warm/running/been running the sump wont be full of oil, it'll be running around the engine.

If you check it when it's warm/running and top it up, the chances are you'll be overfilling it.

Also, if you think about it, when you do a change, you drain the oil (when it's warm as it's thinner) then refill it, check the stick, top up then put the cap on. Why should it be any different in between times?

I've always done it when it's cold. The dipstick is down to the bottom of the sump and it's a measure of how much oil is in there and available to lubricate around the engine. If it's warm/running/been running the sump wont be full of oil, it'll be running around the engine.

If you check it when it's warm/running and top it up, the chances are you'll be overfilling it.

Also, if you think about it, when you do a change, you drain the oil (when it's warm as it's thinner) then refill it, check the stick, top up then put the cap on. Why should it be any different in between times?

Every manufacture have their own way to check the oil, Toyota state to run it from cold for a few seconds to get the oil around the head, switch off and leave for 5 minutes then dip.

If you dip without running the engine the amount will be slightly low.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.