brake caliper refurb begins

HI All

I have just picked up some GT calipers off BigB and looking to refurb them before I fit them to my SS1,

Has anyone tried this company for their kits?

http://www.biggred.co.uk/index.php

or who would you recommend to get the kits from at a decent price?

Edited by davetrigz

but does he do a full refurbish like that comapny does, the can powder coat and electo plate which is a great option, had enough of painting mine up every year as they get crappy so quick.

Alan just sells the refurb kits (all the rubber seals and boots) so you can refurb them yourself

i did message him but no reply, to take out the hassle of spending even more time working on the car this place does seem to offer a very good service though. looks like they will last longer than what i could do in the time i have with car off the road.

So I have now started on the project to refurb the GT calipers, so far I have given the calipers, Carriers and disks a clean up using a wire brush to get rid of the surface rust and dirt, I removed all the seals and struggled to get the pistons out using some mole grips, I then washed them in hot water and washing up liquid to get rid of and remaining contaminants and left them to dry out in the sun.

Next stage is to paint all the parts ready to fit a new seal kit.

SO my colour choice is either:

all parts black or blue

Carrier and disks in blue and the caliper in black

or Carrier and disks in black and caliper in blue.

I should have taken a before pic, these are after I cleaned them up (which took me 3 hours) and look about the same as the ones I have on the car, the front discs only had light surface rust and was not fitted long before BigB got them but I plan to paint the middle of them to keep them looking new ish so wanted to start off with a clean surface!! I am giving them a refurb as I don't know the history and would like piece of mind once I'm done as well.

Here is todays progress so far.

I have painted the calipers, carriers and disks in primer, I did get the braking surface on the disks a little bit but I'm sure that will disappear once there fitted and been used a bit :lol: , next is to get a tin of black VHT paint for the top coat which will have to wait a couple of weeks.

Quick question would it be good to clear coat afterwards as well? just thinking it will give a nice shiny surface and easier to keep clean in the long run!!

• 2 weeks later...

had the gloss black paint and the caliper seals turned up so next stage is under way over the weekend, also got some lacquer ready and some decals on order from MOOK!!

Impressed with BIGRED as the seal kit turned up next day delivery.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now painted these up they have a black under coat and finished off with a blue speckle effect, Just have to fit the new seals.

these are also now available to buy in my de-moding thread along with a few other bits as I have to sell the car to get a family friendly 4 door due to the wife struggling to get in and out. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.