Paint thinner

Hoping someone can help me out on a query here.

Previous owner of my car has done some touch up paint on the car but left it as blobs ( really annoying ) so I'm wondering if I use paint thinner on it 1st will it rid of the blobs so I can smooth it back, and 2nd will it do any harm to the factory paint or will it only affect the touchup?

Obviusly if its going to make me need a respray sooner than I can afford it then its out of the question for now lol.

`kin ell dont do that , you cant remove the blobs really but may make them look better , a bit of wet and dry the highest number you can find ( 2000 grit or more ) , wrap a credit card in this and gentally flat the lumps down , then T-cut the shit out of it and polish , should look the part

Hoping someone can help me out on a query here.

Previous owner of my car has done some touch up paint on the car but left it as blobs ( really annoying ) so I'm wondering if I use paint thinner on it 1st will it rid of the blobs so I can smooth it back, and 2nd will it do any harm to the factory paint or will it only affect the touchup?

Obviusly if its going to make me need a respray sooner than I can afford it then its out of the question for now lol.

What Izzy said..... thinners could react with the lacquer and cause all sorts of problems.

Depending on how thick the touch ups are you might be able to polish it with some compound???

Ok so its a definite no then, this was just some advice I was given to try but wanted to see what other people thought before I tried it.

The blobs are quite thick in some places, any recommendations on a compound to try?

If the blobs are really thick, then as above, you need some emery paper wrapped around something that enables you to just sand down the high spot. Alternatively, you need a one of those small Dremil drills with suitable tool on it to sand it down. Something like T cut will take for ever.

im doing stone chips on my car at the moment, built up the chip with a layers of paint until i got a "blob", sanded it back with really fine wet and dry, then few layers of lacquer, some more sanding, some rubbing compound (halfords own brand) and some t-cut. bish bash bosh jobs a goodun! just make sure you have plenty of elbow grease at hand too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.