Starlet GT turbo and Glanza question?

First of all, anyone got one/owned one/driven one or got a mate with one?

Reason being im looking to get a turbo'd car in september (for my 21st) and im liking the starlets at the moment, think they would be a good first step onto the fi ladder!

What are they like to own? And is high mileage an issue with fi cars? Can they take the miles like an N/A can?

All thoughts and comments welcome :)

i have never owned a glanza/gt but have owned a na starlet. all i can say is that there not as comfortable compared to a celica and bits are a lot more expensive. On the plus side glanza/gt are very quick cars. my bf had a glanza (150,000km)he needed a new clutch whilst owning it, decided to go for a exedy clutch with a lightened cusco flywheel, cost him £800 alone without getting it fitted. i know he replaced the crank shaft oil seals too. my mate had a 400bhp gt (5efte)was crazy quick but was consistantly spending money on it. If you have the money i would recommend one though, there fun nippy cars. if you decide to join any of the starlet forums join up with uksc rather than tgtt.

if you are considering buying one, watch out for the crankshaft oil seals, low conpression smoky engines, valve stem oil seals. If someone has fitted a fcd without a fpr engine will run lean. 1bar + on standard internals and turbo is a risk. cracked heads due to unsuported mani/turbo/downpipe. if there is accesive oil vapour round the dumpvalve the turbo seals may be on there way out. hope this info helps hun. if you see one your unsure of post up a link and i will get my bf to give a verdict :)

chanelle x

Edited by chanelle

i had one. i love them, think there the tits lol. i sometimes think of swapping my celica for one again but the celica is so much nicer inside. very easy to get power out of them. 200bhp is not a huge amount of money. also there very good on fuel. if you dont mind a small hatch your onto a winner with the glanza. comfort wise i had the recaro interior which is hard come by but if you can get it, it is very comfy

I didn't know that one was yours Chanelle, i signed up over on ExtremeEP (UKStarletclub) when i was having issues with my ex's EP91

I saw a air bit of your lovely white one, and it does look stunning, i'm expecting good things for your Celica then biggrin.gif

I didn't know that one was yours Chanelle, i signed up over on ExtremeEP (UKStarletclub) when i was having issues with my ex's EP91

I saw a air bit of your lovely white one, and it does look stunning, i'm expecting good things for your Celica then biggrin.gif

yeah my username is chanelle1234, i have a build thread on there somewhere. i was well known on that forum, well i still am. I do miss my starlet dont get me wrong but the celica has so much more to offer. i like my cars to has stunning visual looks as you can probably tell so will get my celica to look stunning too.

chanelle x

My first car was an EP91 Starlet Sportif. That is when my love afair with the starlet began. I also owened a Stralet SR before i entered Celica ownership.

I am considering buying a starlet to stop putting too may miles on the SS3.

But back to the point. Glanza/GT turbo you can't go wrong with. Theyre fast and easy to tune, jus look out for all the things Chanelle has mentioned.

For peace of mind i would go for a car that has not been modified just so you know what you are doing and not busy fixing someone elses mod/bodge.

Love Starlets :thumbs:

we own an ep91 glanza V

the bad stuff is room be it inside or the boot , we have an amp plus a couple of 6x9`s and the boots almost useless , im under 6 foot and yet find it very crampted to drive , the seat just wont go far enough back , mpg is always 20 mph regardless of how we drive which being honest it as fast as possible , the suspension is soggy as hell being standard , i dont find the car fast at all , on a recent run our kid said he had problems keeping up in his st202 but it doesnt feel fast to me so ? its clear the cars built to a budget and celicas feel like rolls royces after a few weeks of buzzing around in a glanza

the good stuff is the cars ok , good fun to drive , looks nice and doesnt have the chavvyness of some small hatchbacks when you stick 16`s on it and a bit of plastic , the excellerations ok i guess and although others complain i find the brakes perfect , over all the cars quite nice and although i personnaly would be bored to tears if i had it as an only car id recommend it to others

i also brought our kid a glanza S , that was a nice car , lowered and loud , looked the part and apart from revving it till 11 just to pull away it was a nice enough car to drive , the stereo was a waste of time driving it back from manchester , oh and it could do 50 mpg and was happly into the 40`s most of the time from all acounts , i liked that little buzz box

Edited by izzzzythedog

Thanks guys, i hear they have a boost limiter in 1st and 2nd? I presume thats for traction purposes? And theyve got hi/lo boost buttons too..

Are they ok with high mileage? Being a Toyota im guessing they would be fine..

get an ep82 over the glanza :P

no boost restrictions on them either.

theres a really nice one on ukstarletclub atm, think its in Cornwall. im very tempted to sell the Celica and buy another one tbh.

parts are fairly cheap and as said easy to tune, 200bhp starlet is a quick car., however I would sort the handling out first as there not the best round the twisties.

be aware though that there are alot of sh*t ones out there and probably not the best car to have a crash in either.

good mpg, cheap to run and very satisfying to see the look on the Boxster owners face when he can't shake you off!!

go have a drive in one and you'll see what all the fuss is about them!!

pauls cock on with condition

at vrs large jap shows theres always a good turnout from the starlet/glanza owners , looking around most are errrrr sheds i think is fair to say , the quality of most modifed cars is awfull , im not being cruel , its an observation , the quantity of cars with aircleaners in fron of the rad held on with rip ties and bits of wire is not good , also very very poorly fitted rads , dump valves and general body panels , its a shame , a good car really shows where most are enjoyed rather than cherished , theres also rust issues on the early stuff to watch out for , the later stuff suffers from being crashed and fixed ``by a mate ``, i guess a good example is ours has had a front end shunt at some point judging by the quantity of overspray , everything is straight so no tears but do look outfor it

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.