FAO: Mods

Hi

This may of already been covered but I couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering why there isn't a dedicated area with a sufficient amount of 'how-to' guides for each gen? A lot of questions get asked about the same things. I realise there's a few bits on the Wiki but it doesn't cover as much as I thought it would.

I'm sure there's enough people with here that have photographed stuff to have complete sections dedicated to this, even if it's just simple stuff like how to change brakes/remove panels etc etc through to more complex stuff like replacing suspension/doing timing belts etc.

Reason I'm saying this is because I've been on a few different car forums in the past, the best...susprisingly...for info was the saxperience one, you could quite literally find a guide for EVERYTHING on there!

never really any detailed pics though. I'm relatively green when it comes to doing stuff to cars..just never bothered before, bought them out the tin modified etc. I just don't think it'd be THAT much of a bugger to set up one dedicated area per gen sub forum to have specific threads for how to's....and then maybe a general sticky which links to those.

This isn't a complaint btw...just an observation! :)

think the problem with the old wiki was it was to complex to add to it, only a few people knew how to do it.

think over on sxoc they have a section bit like you're saying thats has FAQ section for the 13,14 and 15

Anybody can add info and pictures to the Wiki though, i have been working very hard on the Gen 5 wiki putting up guides and pictures along with a complete re-write of the Gen 5 info section

When it is back online i have shed loads more stuff to stick on there

If the Gen 6 section is anything like the 5 section, then it just needs one or two of you 6 drivers to get in there and update it and add some more guides

We did have 'how to' sub sections in each generation's forum, but when the Wiki software was added they were all merged into that.

The reason you can't find the guides you want, or the detail in them that you want, is because no one has written them.

We need to encourage people to write some content before fretting over how to organise it.

I'd be willing to write them, if I had the information which is something I don't have, as I do some wiki editing for work

Now that the site search is sorted then it just takes some time to get the info buts theres a lot in the forum already, just needs to be organized a bit.

Exactly...bin off the Wiki and just have a section per gen sub forum entitled 'how-to guides'

Doesn't even need to have the info in there, just links to good solid guides that have both photos and write ups. Text only guides rarely help anyone other than those who're pretty experienced in the first place.

the wiki is basically just that, but it keeps it all tidy and in one place, but it does have flaws

1. its not very easy to find if you dont know its there.

2. being called 'wiki' doesnt help matters either, it should b called for example celica FAQ's or alike.

3. its a mofo to figure out how to write up in it, meaning you either dont bother or you have to ask someone to do it for you.

i know its not up and running yet, but if the link for its there, ill be damed if i know where it is, and half the time id forget where it was on the old site and iv been around for what nearly 4 years now

Edited by Dan23

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.