How Much to get a Mould Made for fibreglass parts?

As title, as ive got some genuine Gen7 GT/TRD Sideskirts and as of 18th March il have a Genuine Gen7 GT Front lip. Wondered how much it would cost me abouts to have moulds made from these parts?

Ball Park figures?

Cheers.

All depends on:

Who's making it? (skill and experince is the contributing factor)

What kind of mould? (Female composite mould for normal production or ceramic mould for mass production)

How big the part it and how many pieces the mould would need to be in?

Ownership and rights? For you or the maker?

Edited by yellowchinaman

All depends on:

Who's making it? (skill and experince is the contributing factor)

What kind of mould? (Female composite mould for normal production or ceramic mould for mass production)

How big the part it and how many pieces the mould would need to be in?

Ownership and rights? For you or the maker?

Basicly i wanted to see how much it would cost for a mould and then attempt (notice i said attempt lol) to make a few replica parts maybe. Just an idea i had whilst thinking of things todo to pass the time / hobbie. And if it doesnt turn out to bad maybe sell them.

Its just an idea so was just intrested really. I mean i know its not something im going to pick up over night and if i do im lucky but just wanted to try something in my spare time.

Of it's something you wanna try anyway, then why don't you try make the moulds yourself?

If the cost of getting someone to make a mould is stupid money il give it ago myself. But if its quite resonable id rather have a perfectish mould made. That way when i know i have atleast some chance of making a part that will fit. Rather then me making a shoddy mould and making rubbish parts that are no good to anyone lol.

Making a good mould is the key.

You can read up online on how to make moulds and FRP parts. But experience helps a lot as I know a lot of people who uses different tricks and techniques to making the perfect mould.

We too have trade secrets which I'll never share.

Because you're taking ownership of moulds, it can cost anywhere from £400-£1000 for a mould of a lip. I remember there used to be a company specifically dedicated to making moulds up north Midlands a while back but they went bust.

It might be worth investing in something like this and starting off small, that way you can see if it's something you are any good at before shelling out some serious money on the lip

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Mould-Making-Kit__CMMMK750.aspx

Check out the video at the bottom of the page

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Rich good find there. That carbonmods place is just down. The road from where i work so il pop in and get one of those kits and start off small see how i get on. Il shall report back on my failure or success once im done. Thanks again all.

It might be worth investing in something like this and starting off small, that way you can see if it's something you are any good at before shelling out some serious money on the lip

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Mould-Making-Kit__CMMMK750.aspx

Check out the video at the bottom of the page

Absolute rubbish that.

You'll be lucky to make a fuel cover before the mould fall apart after cracking it off.

Making a basic mould doen't need any thing special from what you use to make your FRP products.

Its more about how accurate and strong you can make it.

Hint. Knowledge in carpentry helps especially when making moulds with more than 1 pieces. Also planning ahead on how to release the moulded part and joining helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.