which one

Owned a 140 and 7ish gt4s.

Insurance wise, its about £200 dearer for the gt4 for me which is well worth it. I did love driving my 140 it was so calm and smooth compared to the gt4 but once i was back in it i loved it. 300bhp 4wd no contest.

I would base my choice on mileage now, I used to do 30k a year in the gt4 now i do about 3k so i can keep it, if i was still doing 30k i would be in a gen 7 as they are better on petrol.

Also ive had alot of Gen 7 owners lately wanting to race, i dont know why I can only assume they think because they have the newer version its faster. Needless to say it never gets old.

Had 2 gen 6 gt4s 1st one I did 21k in the year I had it,the car was 13 yrs old then,4 x oil changes,4 x sets plugs,both front s/s bottom arms & fig 8s,the s/s was due for changing anyway,was what it cost me,seems your gt4 was unlucky having the c/cooler go, my gt4 I have now the clutch popped within 500mls what the heck,if you want a faff you dont worry about fuel economy its a fooking performance car,you dont buy a M3,Porsche,Audi RS,or the likes on mpg,people are forever asking for running cost,s from gt4 owners,do your homework when buying get a nice one it will treat you well amd always put a smile on your face,how many 10-15 year old cars can still do that today & still blow the majority of new stuff into the weeds in standard form ?? Bite the bullet get a faff

Well seems to me if you can have an Astra for a daily,no brainer.Get a mint GT4,insure it on classic limited mileage insurance,no major running costs,odd day and weekend blasts,massive hoot,youve always got a backup car in the event any work needs doing,but if you take your time and get a nice one theres no reason to fork out loads of money really.

Owned both a gen 6 GT4 and currently have a gen 7 190 (as well as a gen 5 and 6)

The GT4 has to be 'driven' to get the best out of it and it will reward you for doing so, but I wouldn't say its a relaxing drive. Its fun, sounds great, looks great, but has a fuel thirst that isn't nice. Its built like a tank.

The gen 7 190 is much easier to drive, is nearly as quick once on the move, and drinks less fuel. But its very plasticky in comparison, doesn't handle as well, and doesn't look as good unless kitted up.

As an everyday car, the gen 7 is much easier to live with for a relaxing fast drive, but having said that the same could be said of a lot of other modern cars. Would I have a GT4 again? Yes, but probably only as a weekend car.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.